CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:18 PM

Question PowerDVD 5.0 can't play DVD movies, Need help

sponsored links

Hi every one I am new to this site and I have a problem. I guess everybody that have a problem join one of this site looking for answer, oh well that live with computer always a problem with something. LOL.

Here is my problem. Thank you for your help before hand.

I just bough a DVD-RW driver for my computer (LITEON 16X Model SOHW 1963S)
I installed as a master in my computer and my other CD-ROM RW driver as a Slave.

The DVD-RW bundle came with Nero to burn DVD and PowerDVD 5.0 to play DVD movies.

After I installed PowerDVD 5 I try to play some movies. I inserted the DVD-cd movie into the DVD-RW driver, PowerDVD open up and get the PowerDVD screen it try to play the movie but stop and nothing, the movie doesn't play. That is my problem. if any one know that the problem is, I appreciate your help.

This is What I have done already.
I have play different movies, all are commercial movies sold at stores, They are not copy. Same thing don't play the movie.
I have run my DirectX . every is fine not problem.
I use WIN98SE SE, DirectX 9, WMP 9, AGP 315SYS video card with 64MB ram, I have 512 mb Ram in the computer, 20GB HD.

My Windows Media Player plays MPG and WMW movies clips just fine.

I try to copy the DVD files into the HD to see if I can play it from the HD. all files where copy but the one that are VTS_1_1.VBO , VTS_1_2.VBO etc all the files with this format couldn't be copy to the HD, Got an error, command not recognize something like that I don't have the note with me.

The DVD-RW drive work just fine, I have install software from this drive and not problem reading the disks.

Thanks
Reyes
[email]Fastrabbit@aol.com[/email]
Old Sep 22, 2005, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Hi Rubiera, make sure PowerDvd is looking at the corect drive for the DVD disc, if it isnt just go to the preferences and alter the drive to look at by default, if the program is launching correctly as you say, it may be as simple a fix as that.

If you tried to copy the vobs of a shop bought DVD the protection on the disc may be preventing you from dropping them onto your hard drive
Old Sep 22, 2005, 06:22 PM

Default I solved the puzzle

Thank you Nuttaper for you input. I did that also.

I follow the instructions of the PowerDVD support team. (NOTHING WORK)
just keep reading to the bottom. I hope this help other member in trouble.

1 DVD-ROM DMA are enable
2 I disable the hardware acceleration to minimum and disable directdraw and direct3d
3 I was able to play .mpg, .avi, .wmv with a little trouble to get it to work but I got it to work
4 I havenít set the DVD region yet because I have not started playing any movie. I am playing movies for the USA.

The DVD drive still doesnít play any movies.

After all this, I decide to install the other program that came in the bundle package
NERO to burn DVD and CD.

Surprise!!! After that, the PowerDVD play the movie just fine and I set the Region on the driver.

My question now is why do I have to install Nero before the PowerDVD program could play the movie?

I did not want to Install Nero program because I donít like their program. I was going to get other program to burn DVD and CD.

For what I see, there are files in the burning program that are needed so PowerDVD can work properly.

Thank you for your time
Reyes