CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 03, 2005, 01:43 PM

Default Networking prob!

sponsored links

Hi all!

I am having problems getting my wireless router to pick up my desktop??

My laptop connects fine but I bought a Belkin USB wireless adapter dor my desktop PC and it don't seem to pick up the router???

Any ideas folks!

Cheers for your time?

Bane.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 06:23 PM

Can you give a bit more detail as to what you have done to try and connect it up? Any error messages of any sort? Have you tried hardwiring to the router, do you have WEP encryption, are you behind a firewall etc etc?
Old Oct 04, 2005, 07:18 AM

I used to have my desktop wired to the router, but now as I have moved it to my bedroom I need it wireless.

My XP firewall is off, I have Norton and Zone Alarm running (I have tried them turned off as well!). The wireless router is unsecured and no Encryption! No error messages, the only thing I can think of is when I installed the drivers etc, when it installed 100% the installation prompt does not complete to FINISH, so I have to reboot my PC, but all the necessary software seems to be installed OK!

It looks like my desktop is picking up the belkin adapter (because on my pc it says connected but there is no flashing blue light coming from the belkin adapter which should occur if internet data is being sent etc), but I have no internet connection.

Any ideas!

Thanks for your time!
Old Oct 04, 2005, 06:14 PM

Thumbs up

I had some problems with my connection recently and as much as I like it Zonealarm was the problem. However turning Zonealarm off didn't resolve the issue as the True Vector Internet Monitor still runs in the background. I had to uninstall ZA to make it work. Not saying this is the definitive answer but it's certainly worth pursuing.

You can still have round the house internet connectivity without the loss of signal, no matter how many walls and doors your behind. It's called Homeplug - all the benefits of wireless with all the benefits of being wired.
Old Oct 05, 2005, 08:15 AM

Talking

Cheers mate I might give Homeplug a try!

Anyways, I got the problem sorted!

I typed in the router IP address into my Desktop then I had Internet connection but shortly after disconnected again. So I put the IP address detection prompt back to automatic again and now it's working fine???

Sorted

Cheers for your time once again!!!
Old Oct 05, 2005, 07:16 PM

Talking

No probs mate, happy to help