CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:23 PM

Thumbs down Havenít had my computer working for 87 days need advice

sponsored links

Like the topic says...

I have a Dell Xps 3 system

3.4 Intel P4 with HT technology
Level 1 (l1) cache 16 KB
Level 2 (L2) cache 1-MB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Intel 03
Pentium 4
3.4 GHZ/1M/800
SL758 Malay
L419A700

2 GB of 533-MHZ DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM

Ati x800xt graphics card

Sound blaster Audigy 2

My computer stopped working about 87 days ago... Dell has delayed and delayed the parts for my computer and never has fixed anything... I am thinking of taking them to small clams to sue and probably will. They said they are sending me another computer (not new) to me in about 10 daysÖ then when ten days passed 15Ö then 20Ö. I called them 70 times already and they do nothing to help... They lie about if itís shipped or not or if itís even in stock... They are not even in the US for tech support. And after 87 days with my 4 year warranty which cost about 300-400$ I figure it is never going to be fixed and I can not wait any longer.

My question is

What can I buy to get my computer working? I donít know whatís wrong with my computer it just doesnít turn on.

Sound card and graphics card work perfectly...

I am thinking of taking the parts out of my computer that still work and replacing everything in a new case...

What kind of mother board should I get?

What processor?

Power supply?

And what kind of cooling if needed

I use this computer for business (real estate which is nothing demanding on the computer just a lot of info) and just to play around with games (FEAR, Bf2 Black and White 2 etc)... For games res of 1200 and settings all on high... best of the best I guess I would need. Or just something I wouldnít have to upgrade in about a year or 2

I looked at newegg but there is just too many parts to pick from... ranging from 1000 to 200 for a Intel processor... but I donít know if a processor like this one ***********.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214 will ever really be needed... Or will an AMD be better... But then again they range from 100 to 900.

Then what power supply would I need?

And what are good chases?

Also should I get rid of my 2 GB of 533-MHZ ram and buy 2 GB of 667-MHZ ram? Or is there no real difference and its not needed? Ram is very cheap so it wouldnít be a big deal if itís better.

Is Dual core processors or Extreme Dual core processors needed for what I use? Or just a waste for most things?

When Ati comes out with x1800xt I will be getting that. Think its sometime in November

What sound card should I buy? Which is the best?

I guess ill I need is

1) Chase
2) Sound Card
3) Power supply
4) Processor
5) Mother board
6) Any cooling if needed and cables that are needed to install

I just wonít to get the main parts but keep it cheaper then what I bought for the whole computer. I pretty much need all the main components replaced. Any help would be great... just canít wait any more for my computer to work. I keep track of everything in it that I doÖ Iím most likely losing money probably more then I think

links
Old Oct 18, 2005, 07:22 PM

Thumbs up

In my humble experience if you are lookign to go down the legal route it's best waiting until you have compeleted that before you embark on dismantling your PC. As you live in the U.S. I am not upto date with any local suppliers you may have. But look up in your local Yellow Pages for a local PC dealer, who should be able to sort you out. I always advise against top spec models cause like cars as soon as they leave the showroom they are old and loose there value. Also in the future when component prices come down you can easily and cheaply upgrade to a high spec without the cost.

If it doesn't power on check all the cables are firmly fitted, check the fuse in your plugs haven't blown. When you switch on look at the back were the fan is and see if you can hear/see the fan spinning up. It could be a faulty PSU.

I use a tool called Post Probe (***********.micro2000.com/) to check out all dead PC's which tells me exactly whats wrong with the PC within a matter of minutes.

If your determined to get it replaced look for something like:

3Ghz P4 Intel CPU
1Gb DDR Ram
160Gb HDD
Some top of the range graphics card
Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card
19" TFT screen

And then keyboard, mouse and speakers of your choice. You should be looking to spend in the region of $800-900 for it depending on spec.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:43 AM
Veteran

In dispite of your describtion.... what i do not understand is exactly what is wrong with the machine. You say it stopped working, yet videocard and soundcard do work.
So... exactly what doesn't work?

I'm surprised by the lack of attention at DELL. I live in the Netherlands, and DELL is very well known for their excellent service.

Anyway... before you start spending lots of good money on a new pc, maybe you should encourage DELL a little to solve your problem. Just send them a letter (preferably adressed to the CEO), make sure you let them sign for recieving it (!!!), and demand you expect them to eighter fix or replace your system within... lets say 14 days. If not, you will have an expert fix your system, on thier expence.

The period of 14 days would be a very reasonable time, in which they should be able to meet your demands, one way or the other. Especially after the rediculous period that already expired after first calling them.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

In my experience, I've found that simple problems can often snowball into monumental ones.

I suggest you don't even think of touching the computer, and contacting your local Fair Trading department, or whatever is applicable in your area.

You've obviously waited more than long enough, and it's Dell's legal obligation to rectify the situation, whether they like it or not.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:45 PM

Since you're in real estate I'll assume that you can afford to buy a quality computer, and so I'd recommend an Alienware.
[URL=***********.alienware.com/]***********.alienware.com/

Now before everyone starts telling me that an Alienware is a waste of money, consider this: It's the best of the best (unless you build it yourself), and their customer support is very good. Dell is supposed to have the best customer support, but I doubt that you'll believe me when I say that. So go with an alienware. Plus they come tested out the *** (and benchmarked, to boot), so you won't get one that's DOA.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

"Best of the best", not in Australia they aren't, and their customer support absolutely sucks.

A read in any of the local mags is riddled with unhappy customers who Alienware just ignore.

Anyway, why should he buy another one, regardless of how much money he has?

Buying another PC isn't the issue, Dell fixing it is.