CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 05, 2005, 02:34 AM
Veteran

Default picking up a neighbours wireless router

sponsored links

I'm picking up a neighbours wireless router on my pc with the wireless adapter.

mine is linksys and suddenly XP said it had lost connection, but did i want to see a list of other connections.

I clicked yes and it listed "Belkin54g"

I just connected by clicking on it (no password asked for or anything) and am using their broadband!!!!!

a) I set a password etc up on mine, so will they be able to use mine?

b) is there a way of hiding my signal from them?

c) is there any way of looking in their pc to see who it is?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:18 PM

Happens all the time, in fact that is exactly how I am currently connected. They can't tell "who" you are. If they check there connections through their web interface they can see how many IP's have been leased. Now they can count the wireless devices on their network, like one or two, and deduce that a third connection exists, and make the correct changes to prevent that, but if the router is straight outta of the box and not configured then they are broadcasting to the world, obvously only those in range can connect. The truth of the matter is most ppl have no clue how something this fundamental works. I haven't used an ISP for over a year now, but enjoy the ignorance of others.

You'll likley have a private address, 192.168.x.x so if you know what you are doing you can asscertain there IP address, but that will only reveal to you there ISP provider, unless thay have open shares, and or an unpatched box. Then you have to scan the machine for vulnerabilities, and know how to exploit them if they exist.

Last edited by Nastynann; Nov 30, 2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2005, 04:00 AM
Veteran

thanx for the reply m8.

can u mail me as i'd like ti find out which neighbour it is if possible.

u may be able to tell me how to do this?

[email]gooty1@hotmail.com[/email]
Old Dec 02, 2005, 07:00 PM
Veteran

As strange as this may seem I have had exactly the same enquiry today with a laptop user accessing the internet through an unknown connection, I had to explain to the user how they did it, funny thing is, it was exactly the same router as well ??

Gooty, dont suppose you live in M/cr do you ?? lol
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:43 AM

My email addy is [email]wintrojan2k@hotmail.com[/email]. Now you can determine who his/her ISP provider is, but if you want to "know" who it is then you would need to attempt to find exploits on his/her box, which is illegal and I would not encourage. I will not provide detailed information on this, that being scanning the intended box, and assuming vulnerabilities exist how to exploit those. All the info you need can be found at www.google.com If you have further questions feel free to email me, I'll not go into further detail on this matter on this board.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:25 AM
Veteran

In my neighborhood I have my choice of several unsecure wireless signals being broadcast. Most people aren't that computer literate, and wireless routers are made for easy configuration, but when you go thru and use the wizard to setup security isn't automatically enabled and most people aren't aware of this. Depending on the router if a person was to check there log they would see the IP address and computer name of any computers on there network but most home users have no reason to check there log.

When I setup my own wireless signal I didnt activate security for the 1st month. Checked the log and there was another computer who had been logging onto my network on a regular basis. While this wasn't a big concern since it's very unlikely they would have been able to access my computer, just use the internet connection I still enabled security.