CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 11, 2005, 02:29 PM

sponsored links

If you select yes, then the system will convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS the next time you restart your computer. You shouldn't loose your data, since that utility is made especially for that purpose, to convert FAT32 to NTFS without data loss, like the Q&A in the link I gave you above.

Now, it is always a good idea to backup your important information before messing with the system, just in case it hiccups and your data dies. If you can do a backup, then do one.

Also, how many fans do you have in your case? Too much heat can cause your computer to behave in an inconsistent manner. (I was trying to word that last sentence for about 2 min. It just wouldn't come to me )
Old Nov 11, 2005, 02:42 PM

I had an PCI double fan for the longest time and never had any problems and recently took a dump on me. Now thinking about it this could very well be the problem but i will go ahead and convert the hd to ntfs. will keep u posted on the outcome. again thanx for the input

alk
Old Nov 11, 2005, 02:53 PM

sure thing, no problem
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Overheaing won't cause it to freeze, it will only make it shutdown or randomly restart.

Converting to NTFS is a good idea because it's a much more stable system, and XP is really designed and better suited for it.

It may very well be related to why your computer was freezing.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 01:00 PM

did the conversion this morning with no data loss which is the good thing but as soon as i clicked on internet explorer and started to load my homepage cnn.com it froze again. scheduled a scan disk next time puter restarts and lets see what happens. any other ideas ya could share with me? at this point i'm willing to try just about everything. And by the way guys i really appreciate all the help and info ya have given me. Thanx again

alk
Old Nov 12, 2005, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Is it just Internet Explorer that is doing this, and do you have a Windows CD?

If so, go to Start, run and type in sfc /scannow then OK. (Note there is a space after sfc )

You will need a Windows CD for this.