CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 15, 2005, 12:59 PM

sponsored links

Quote:
Use partition magic to convert to NTFS, this will convert the file format without the loss of data, this is what i use to change FAT32 to NTFS.
Quote:
Why would you suggest that when XP has that ability built-in?
If you have Partition Magic it's is actually better to use that then the built-in convertor in XP. If you use XP's convertor, it changes the cluster size to 512 making it somewhat less efficient then the standard 4kb cluster size that is native to NTFS partitions. Using Partition Magic will make the cluster size the standard 4k.
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Stuhler
If you have Partition Magic it's is actually better to use that then the built-in convertor in XP. If you use XP's convertor, it changes the cluster size to 512 making it somewhat less efficient then the standard 4kb cluster size that is native to NTFS partitions. Using Partition Magic will make the cluster size the standard 4k.

Although there is truth to that comment, it's also a bit misleading.

NTFS partitions that are converted from FAT partitions are assigned a cluster size of 512 bytes, which may reduce performance compared to larger cluster sizes that are the default for new NTFS partitions, however that reduction isn't noticeable by most, and certainly not enough to justify spending money on Partion Magic.

I haven't seen a system yet, and I've done it on more than a dozen, where it affected performance one bit. It's mostly theoretical.

XP's built in tool is fine for the job, and unless you need the extra features of Partition Magic, then it's a waste of money.

Anyway, the authors problem is resolved so it's irrelevant.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 06:46 PM

Hey guys i'm sorry but i spoke too soon. my computer was freezing a few times on a daily basis before i did the scannow. then it went a few days without freezing and i thought the problem was resolved. Yesterday for the first time it froze yes again. I didn't think much of it that time but today, it has froze twice within 10 mins. I did the scannow again and as soon as i clicked on internet explorer and into cnn sports it froze. the other time before that, it froze once i clicked cnn sports. are there any other suggestions that might be able to solve my problem? i really appreciate everything you guys have done so far.

alkatrazz2
Old Nov 16, 2005, 09:05 PM
Veteran

Apart from doing a Repair of XP, which is the second-last resort, you're starting to run out of options fast.

Try running a CHKDSK as Modo suggested earlier. Also check Event Viewer as discussed earlier.

As this was XP installed with FAT32, which isn't what it's optimised for, it could really be anything. (It could also be hardware?)

Personally, if it was me I'd format and install XP again, (using NTFS), but that's me.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:05 PM

since all the freezing occurs only when i try accessing internet explorer, can that be the problem? can i try repairing it or uninstall it and re-install it? trying to exhaust everything before reformating the hd. and again all inputs are greatly appreciated.

alk
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:08 PM
Veteran

You cannot uninstall or remove Internet Explorer.

You can repair it, but as you have already tried System File Checker, you have already done that.

All you really have left is to repair XP, or reformat and reinstall.

Or if your main concern is IE, you could always use FireFox.