CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 26, 2005, 03:15 AM

Default all of a sudden nothing burns cds, fear of a dead drive!!!

sponsored links

after two years of everything working fine, my players [windows media, real, nero, winamp] won't burn cds, the only thing i did that might have effected this is update winamp, but i`ve since deleted it and done a system restore, but no luck.

its a matshita dvd-ram uj-811, on a toshiba laptop, so i really want to rule out a dead drive. i`ve heard a cd burner maybe dead even though cd playing/dvd playing and burning are all fine [and they are in my case] but all the nero cd tests work fine too, so wouldn't that rule out a dead drive??

can anyone refer me to hardware tests to rule out a dead drive???
the only one i've been able to find involves opening up the burner, and on the laptop i don't wanna/ have the confidence yet.

otherwise:
what would be the possibility of a driver problem??
how much would a complete system reformat help??

any help much much much appreciated
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoplobi
only thing i did that might have effected this is update winamp
I would suspect the update for Winamp causing a problem - it could have disbaled an option or installed a driver thats causing a conflict with a previous installed driver.
How long ago did you install the WinAmp update? Have you been able to burn any CD's since installing the update?

Quote:
the nero cd tests work fine too, so wouldn't that rule out a dead drive??

There still can be a fault even if Nero Test passes the drive but only with certain problems but I would suspect your drive is actually working at moment.

Quote:
can anyone refer me to hardware tests to rule out a dead drive???
It can be difficult to see if a CD Burner is faulty depending on the problem and even more difficult with a laptop. I have a hardware test listed on [URL=***********.cd-burner-help.com/hardware.htm]CD Burner Help but is for Desktops only, sorry.

Quote:
what would be the possibility of a driver problem??
Bit of a long shot but you may want to look at the ASPI Layer to see if there is any problem - go to [URL=***********.cd-burner-help.com/aspi-layer.htm]Aspi Driver Help and see if anything can assist with this.

Quote:
how much would a complete system reformat help??
Can reinstalling Windows help? Yes it possible could but only if installed software is the cause of the problem.