CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:50 PM

Default Help me design the Ultimate home PC

sponsored links

I have 7000.00 to spend, and I want to create the ultimate PC that will last me until 2010.

and by that, I mean be able to play the most advanced games on the highest settings for the next five years. sound ambitious?

lets start:
All componenets must fit within a gateway 2000 all metal oversized full tower case. it has room for three hard drives above the power supply, and 8 drives below the optical drives. there is room for 4 optical drives and 1 floppy drive.
Format of the mobo standoffs is not a problem, I am willing to drill holes.

Any crazy ideas like water of phase change cooling welcome. I want this to be some kind of dual core dual processor beast machine running sli something or other. the drives will be raid 0, none of that raid 0,1 or raid 1 sissy stuff.

can you guys help me realize my dream of an ultimate gaming machine?

Gonna need super fast 15,000 rpm drives, at least 2TB, yes thats right, Terabytes, of storage overall. more ram than windows Xp can address, and the fastest 64 bit processors there are out there on the market that will fit within a 7000 dollar budget.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Let me get this right... you are willing to spend $7000 on gaming pc?

Anyway... you have made your point, you want something utterly smashing, but i really think you should eighter reconsider your specifications, or upgrade your budget with at least another $7000. These specifications are quite rediculous.

I mean, you want 2TB of drive space (heck... why???), provided by high-speed drives. This means you will need something like a Maxtor Atlas (Ultra320-SCSI). These are 300GB that sell at some $1000 each.
Since you'll need 7 of them to suit your needs, the HDD's alone will consume [B]all[/B] of your budget, leaving no room for anything else.

You also mentioned "more RAM than XP can adress". Right.... Windows XP 32-bit edition can only address up to 4GB of RAM. However, hardware limitations often prevent this much from being used after all. In addition, the average consumer doesn't need, and won't receive much, if any, of a boost from this much RAM. For most, 512MB is fine, 1GB ideal, and 2GB a little excessive, 4GB is overkill.

Windows XP Professional 64-bit edition, on the other hand, supports up to 128GB of physical RAM and 16TB (terabytes) of virtual memory. Currently, i don't think any consumer-focused motherboard can handle more than 4GB. This just a matter of time, of course.

Nevertheless... [B]what on earth are you planning to use 16TB (16.000.000MB) of RAM for?[/B] Do you fancy to challange NASA in a modern-day space race?

Overall, your question is insane...

Last edited by merlin_the_magician; Nov 30, 2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Merlin, a word of advice, Gregoriev likes to show off by posting crap.

Do a search and you'll get the idea. Just ignore him or it.
Old Dec 02, 2005, 09:40 PM

geeze...do you guys get off on killing peoples dreams or what?

I was hoping to get some genuine sugestions as to product names and good brands I could use to create a really kick *** computer.

I am sorry if my initial post was a bit sketchy, but I had hopped it would get some peoples imaginations going as to what kind of ultimate system they could create.

7K is pleanty enough to create the ultimate gaming machine, and frankly also allows for enough room that dual core and dual processor systems can be brought in, since the game industry will jump on the ability to use the improved horsepower from dual core.

I had never thought somebody would just come in and trash my thread.

anf for you information, I preformed a search on myself. know what came up? some things from over a year ago when I first started out as a noob about dreamcast copy games (something I got to work BTW) along with a more recent thread about batch files, their creation, and neat tricks/secrets you can do with them. the batch thread was well written, and contained great information!

"Gregoriev likes to show off by posting crap"
"just ignore him or it"

really now...that sounds mature. as if my thread has less merit than others. surely you dont rank "came hom drunk and now my comptuer is broken" which got alot more posts than a thread about creating your own dream machine and recomending the parts/specs to an enthusiast.

This is why I didnt come back to this board for over a year, I had hoped things changed, now I know I was wrong.
Old Dec 02, 2005, 10:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

What do you expect with a comment like "more RAM that XP can address"?

Name me one program or application that needs or uses more than 2 GB of RAM?
Old Dec 03, 2005, 09:07 PM

The whole point of a dream machine is NOT "what will I use it for" but rather, what will it be able to do when I need it to???

People were buying up 64 bit processors long before windows was even something decent as a 64 bit version. it was an investment in the future!

and, just in retrospect...people once said you were some crazy nutcase for paying for that extra 640Kb of ram for your pc. I mean come on! there is NO WAY you could POSSIBLY need more than 256Kb...I mean seriously, thats just a waste!

do you see where I am going with this?

/terminus: if you guys arent going to play along and actually let your dreams flow, and create some kind of monster PC, they might as well lock this thread. I thought you all were better than this...