CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 26, 2005, 06:56 PM

Question is it possible to play backups without a chip or swapmagic?

hello, sry if i say something stupid... i'm pretty much of a newbie.
but let's get to the point. is it possible to play backups without a chip or swapmagic?
there are all these programs who say like: "make backups of your ps2 games"
but is it also possible to do this (with or without these programs) to play these backups. i'm willing to buy a ps2 hdd if i have to and other programs.

also, can you play protected and/or dual-layer (dvd9) ps2 games on a hdd with a hddloader or other stuff.

i also have arcade replay v2 (i know it's pretty old but...) and if someone knows any other tuto's or can directly help me i would be REALLY greatfull

for those who will try to help: thnx very much
Old Dec 30, 2005, 04:24 AM

Tou can play backups without swap magic or a modchip.

See NeverMindnames's thread "This is how to install CogSwapLoader...bye bye swap magic 2/3"

or follow these instructions

swapmagicfix.com/exploit.html
Old Jan 17, 2006, 06:34 AM

i just looked at the swap magic fix thing you posted and it says to me that you still need a swap magic disc

so i would say no you cannot play ps2 backups without either a modchip or swap magic
Old Jan 17, 2006, 01:48 PM

yes you can, you need the old game shark...
-Lex
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:37 AM

If you are in the United States, Wal-Mart is just about everywhere. Unfortunately Wal-Mart no longer carries Gameshark, but you can use any version of CodeBreaker to install the Memory Card Independence Exploit.

You need to have a Flash drive, a PC, PS2 Memory Card, Original PS1 Game for a trigger, PS2 Original Game for CogSwap's DVD large disk addressing and CodeBreaker to make this work.

In regards to burining the game, make sure that you use the slowest speed that your burner supports in order to avoid stuttering in the game's video as the PS2 laser is able to correct the errors that your DVD burner can. Also incase you do not know this yet, make sure that you are using DVD -R to have the greatest compatibility. The older PS2s do not read +R or RW.