CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 30, 2005, 01:09 PM

Question HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B - write not working

sponsored links

Hi,
I have a computer with a "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B" which I think is made by LG Electronics (Goldstar).

On putting a new CD-R into it and trying to write from MS Explorer (i think it uses ROXIO behind the scenes), it looks like it's trying to write and then goes into the finalization stage then stops and says it may have corrupted my CD.

I tried an old CDRW that I had written to before. I see the files on it. (Note, the CDRW is reading files fine - intstalling software from it no problem). I tried to write a little test.txt to it, and it say's there is no cd in the drive...

I've never cleaned it. I would have thought if it can read it could write - are there separate lenses - could dirt be the issue.
AND Do regular CD Lens cleaners work for CDRW's, or do you need a special cleaner for CDRW's?

I'd installed ISOBURN 1.5 from www.paehl.de recently, could/would it have altered anything/drivers that would stop the drive working.

I'd searched for drivers, but Win XP home says there are no newer ones.
If it's a driver issue (it looks like there are 6 files - cdrom.sys GEARAspiWDM.sys, imapi.sys, pfc.sys, redbook.sys, storprop.sys - do any of these relate to ISOBURN - I happen to have a Samsung DVD-ROM separate drive too, so not sure if any of these drivers relate to that too, but those 6 are what show up in the Driver File Details window for the cd-rw), what do I do with them.

Thanks

Last edited by optimizer; Dec 30, 2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2006, 04:47 AM

Sounds like ISOBURN 1.5 could have caused the conflict with Windows XP Drivers.

Did you install the software that came with the CD Burner? If so what is it and what version?
Old Jan 07, 2006, 02:56 AM

Question CD-R not writing

Well, the CD Software was part of the pre-installed stuff with the computer.
It turns out it was “developed under license from Roxio” – I knew I’d seen their name somewhere (I can't find a place to see what it is / version)

I tried writing to the CD-RW first this time, and it wrote to the cd like it always had (except when it failed after the failed CD-R attempt)

I tried writing to my new CD-R’s (I’ve never had a need for them until now).
It says:
1/ Writing the data files to the CD – Est = 5 secs
2/ Performing steps to make the CD….
3/ Cannot complete the CD writing wizard
I’ve noticed that somewhere in the process MS Explorer drops down from Drive E (CD-RW) to the next avail drive mapping…

So do you still think it could be ISOBURN 1.5 doing something to effect the drivers?

Some other questions

I’ve also noticed the files on my CD-RW cd’s that I’ve created say “access is denied” when I try to delete a file or change it’s properties from read-only. I’m the Admin, so why would that be happening on a RW disc?

In Win XP Home, where can I see the checkbox to set Autorun on/off?

What’s the name for the feature of CD software that makes CD-RW’s appear as a regular disk on the computer (rather than having to say “Go write it”, it just does it), I’ve forgotten. And are there any quality freebie downloads of it? (that does CD-R, CD-RW and possibly ISO’ too).

Thanks for your help

EDIT:
I've just looked at the Device details again

It looks like it's an SP2 file
On the Driver tab: Driver Version = 5.1.2535.0
On the Driver Details button: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) is on all the MS entries.
The *WDM.sys and PFC.sys, don't have checkmarks next to them - MS products - the others are Gear software and Padus.

I wonder if this means the SP2 update hosed the CD - if so, how do I get the old drivers back, or will they work (if they ever did - unfortunately, I never did a CD-R to know (data not Muzac)).

Last edited by optimizer; Jan 08, 2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimizer
Well, the CD Software was part of the pre-installed stuff with the computer.
It turns out it was “developed under license from Roxio” – I knew I’d seen their name somewhere (I can't find a place to see what it is / version)
Could this be the Windows XP built in Software, you don’t actually need to open a separate CD Burning program to start the session?

Quote:
I tried writing to the CD-RW first this time, and it wrote to the cd like it always had (except when it failed after the failed CD-R attempt)
So you couldn’t write to the CD-RW after the CD-R failed, correct? Can you give details on what method you used to burn to the CD-RW? Does it only fail after a CD-R fails?

Quote:
I tried writing to my new CD-R’s (I’ve never had a need for them until now).
It says:
1/ Writing the data files to the CD – Est = 5 secs
2/ Performing steps to make the CD….
3/ Cannot complete the CD writing wizard
Seems its not even getting to start the actually burn. Does the CD-R have any marks (best described as rings) after the failure?

Quote:
So do you still think it could be ISOBURN 1.5 doing something to effect the drivers?
Is this still installed? Make sure that its uninstalled, check the web for any guides on fully removing ISOBurn.

Quote:
I’ve also noticed the files on my CD-RW cd’s that I’ve created say “access is denied” when I try to delete a file or change it’s properties from read-only. I’m the Admin, so why would that be happening on a RW disc?
If the file still on the CD-RW you cant change the properties from read only, you need to copy to the hard drive first.

Quote:
In Win XP Home, where can I see the checkbox to set Autorun on/off?
[URL=********support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;330135&spid=1173&sid=73]Microsoft Help

Quote:
What’s the name for the feature of CD software that makes CD-RW’s appear as a regular disk on the computer (rather than having to say “Go write it”, it just does it), I’ve forgotten. And are there any quality freebie downloads of it? (that does CD-R, CD-RW and possibly ISO’ too).
I am guessing you mean Direct CD by Roxio, let you use the CD-RW drive like a floppy disk? This will only write as UDF and not ISO. If you still want to write using UDF right click on a file and ‘Send To’ the CD Burner drive letter.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 07:32 AM

Default I have the same problem.

I also have the HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B in my Dell and the write is not working. This is an intermittant problem and I have NOT installed any software pertaining to the CD-RW. I was wondering if it could be dirty, if the CDs being used were faulty, or if I'm trying to burn them at the wrong speed. Does anyone know what speed these things work at? Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by Gibbons95; Jan 26, 2006 at 07:34 AM. Reason: left out some information
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:22 PM

I am having the same issue. Very nerve wracking.