CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 08, 2006, 06:01 PM

Exclamation Wireless networking through a pc lan

sponsored links

hi, i have gotten hold of a linksys wireless b access point free of charge. now i have brought a network card and installed it. I want to run the wireless network through my pc via a rc45 cable, (i no that the pc will have 2 be on all the time and connected 2 broadband.) Now i have tried to do it but it won't work, it says that the network cable is unplugged but its not! Now if i hook up the access point via the cable the same way then the access point works!

Really don't understand! appreicate if anyone could give me some help!

cheers
neil
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:56 AM

Not sure what your trying to do here.......what was the network cable connected to before you hooked up the Access Point ??
Old Feb 08, 2006, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Kinda confusing what your trying to say but I'll give basic overview of the connections using a pc and a laptop connected to the router.

The router should be connected VIA a network cable to the modem. Then the desktop pc would be connected via a network cable to the router, or via a wireless network card. The laptop would be connectd via wireless to the router. Also make sure you go into the routers configuration and turn on the wireless signal. This is usually set to off by default when you first get it from the manufacturer. Also make sure that you properly configure the laptop. If you were using it with a wired connection then switch to wireless you might have to go into device manager and tell it to use the wireless card instead of the standard.