CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:32 AM

Unhappy CD-ROM drive reads audio CDs and CD-ROMs but not blank CD-Rs

sponsored links

I know that there have been some similar messages posted, but none of the responses to them was useful to me, so I'm going to go ahead and try this.

I've been trying to burn a data CD (which I did a month or so ago without any problems). For some reason, when I click on "Record CD" in the final step of the CD creation process it gives me an error message to the effect of "The media in the CD-ROM drive is the improper media for this project. Please insert a blank recordable CD into your drive." Needless to say, when I get this error message, there is indeed a blank CD-R in my CD-ROM that for some reason the drive isn't recognizing. I have tried four different brands of CD-Rs and none of them work. The drive does recognize and read audio CDs, CD-ROMs, and even audio CD-Rs that I have previously recorded without any problems. What could possibly cause the drive to read previously recorded CDs but not blank ones?

I don't know too much about computers, but something I read said that my driver might be corrupt, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it, and the problem is exactly the same as it was before. I also did some hardware test thing that told me to watch the LED light when I inserted different types of media. As one would expect, the LED light remains lit when it's playing an audio CD but blinks continually in horrid lack of recognition when I insert a blank CD.

Is there anything I can do about this, or do I have no choice but to call DELL for some expensive repairs? Unfortunately my warrantee is expired, so anything that I can possibly do to resolve this on my own will be warmly embraced. Thanks in advance.