CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:16 PM

Default Need help ASAP setting up a bus type network?

sponsored links

I have a small business with 4 pc's all running differant OS, Win Me, Win XP. I wanna know if i could set a type of network, where i could access files from each of the computers from the other pc. I also wanna have a printer that all 4 pc can print from. I dont know much about networks can someone help me out, an also tell me what hardware i would need to buy. thanks
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:47 PM

ok, firstly u shouldnt call your "potential" network a "bus network" since u are not going to have one. i was a click away not to check ur post, since i dont know much about bus networks, anyhow...

all u need to buy, is one Network Interface Card (NIC) for every computer if there are not any already, u should check it out first, even though there are not that exepensive nowdays.

also u will need a router or a switch. The router is defenetly the best solution, but the switch is by far the cheapest. If u will be able to set up the router and u can afford it (dont know the price difference of the two) go for the router. if money is more important, go for the switch. I have a switch for my home network and it works just fine.

thats about what u will need to buy.
OH, and some calbes ofcourse!
if by any chance two computers are far far away from each other (by far far i mean more than 100meters) u might have a problem.
there are ready made cables, but dont know if the length will b ok for u, but u can get plain cable (called cat5 by the way, or just lan cable) and attach the connectors by youself, all u need is a small thingy (dont remember the name right now, u just put the connector and the cables on the right order and press).
and btw, u will only need normal cables, not crossed cables. it makes a hell of a difference.

having these done, u install the NICs connect the cables from each NIC to the router/switch and u r ready to go- well not really, not yet.

u r done H/W wise, now its all down to S/W. you just have to set up the network on the computers, something that is dead easy on XP, dont remember how hard it is on Me, but cant be that difficult.

also, if your printer is a fancy profecional one, it might have a network connection, so u can connect it to the router, if not, u will have to connect it to a pc and by changing the properties of it, to share it to all the computers.

REMEMBER, if ur printer is network ready, u will need 5 ports on the switch and if u r planning to get a broad band internet connection, then u will need an extra slot, 6 in tottal, so make sure the router/switch has enough since some only have 4.

let me know for anymore info
good luck