CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 08, 2006, 04:24 PM

Default CD-R Dye Colors Performance with Dreamcast

sponsored links

The following image shows the back side of some CD-Rs, notice the different dye colors

[IMG]********img327.imageshack.us/img327/8838/dyecolors9ov.jpg[/IMG]

Regardless of brand, the dye color seems to be the determining factor wether a properly burned disc will play just fine, or have some issues (at least on my Dreamcast and Car CD Changer),

1 Dark Blue - The worst, takes a long time for my Dreamcast to recognize the CDs and get past the SEGA logo screen, sometimes the discs won't boot and I'll have to reset my DC to make another try. My car Cd Player plays them ok, but skips quite easily with any minor bump.

2 Light Blue - A bit better than its darker cousin, but the DC still takes a long time to recognize discs and get past the SEGA logo, you can hear the GD-Rom making lots of high pitch noises while trying to get past the SEGA logo.

3 Light Green/Blue - Much better, my dreamcast can play these discs decently, but it usually takes 3 high pitched noises from my gd-rom to get past the SEGA logo. My car Cd Player doesn't skip as much.

4 Light Green/Silver - The best I've tried so far, my dreamcast just loves this dye color, games are almost instantly recognized, going from the SEGA logo screen to the actual game is fast and effortless. My car CD player rarely skips even when going over some big bumps. I've burnt this CDs at 2x 4x 8x & 48x speeds and they always work fine. This dye has the lightest color I've found so far and looks somewaht similar to a pressed CD but it does have a green/silver color.

I have tested these CDs on 2 dreamcasts, one manufactured in August 1999, the other in June 2000, both behaved the same way, working better and faster with the light colored dye CDs. But I have yet to try with other dye colors such as gold.

Last edited by yourfather; Apr 08, 2006 at 06:56 PM.