CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:20 AM

Default Network wizard doesn't recognise other computers

sponsored links

Hi everyone, I'm just joining because I need help, so don't take offense.

Anyway, my flatmates and I all connect to the internet by plugging network cords into a communal modem. The other three also have run the network setup wizard on their computers, and they're able to share files in addition to connect to the internet. For some reason, though, I can't do this. I run the wizard and their computers don't show up. However, they can see me but when they try to access my computer they're told by windows that they've been locked out by the administrator, and to contact him.

Are we missing anything blindingly obvious? Feel free to email me at [email]samgrover86@gmail.com[/email], or just reply to this thread if I've left anything crucial out. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.

PS: We're all running XP.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 09:45 AM

Can they ping your computer? Can you get to their shares? Do you have Firewall/virus Software? Do you have local accounts created, or are you wide open?