CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:34 PM

Default Complex Problem With Modified PS2.

sponsored links

Hello. I am new here. I have a modified PS2 since September 2005 (the PS2 was purchased at the end of August 2005). I took the PS2 to a store for modification, so it was not originally modified. 2 months after the modified PS2 was working properly, it stopped working. What I mean by stopped working is the PS2 was unable to read "any" game, regardless if the CD/DVD was burned/non-burned. Supposedly, the store owner told me that the PS2 should be able to read burned/non-burned PS1/PS2 games without Gameshark. However, he did not tell me what mod chip he used, which may have been important to know becaue the mod chip might have been a crappy one.

I was basically playing Final Fantasy 9 (burned) one night, and the next day, the PS2 just suddenly stopped reading any game. Audio CDs, however, works ok.

One day on April 2006, I tried putting non-burned PS2 games into the screwed-up PS2, hoping it would "suddenly" be able to "at least" read non-burned games. The games were readable, but when the game needs to load at a certain point, the CD/DVD just keeps making click sounds as if something was jamming the CD/DVD from running properly. Loading time takes nearly 4x longer than it should take. Even when the loading finishes, during the gameplay, the audio keeps jumping (as in, repeats a section of the music a few times before it continues, here and there). This is mainly because the CD/DVD is still making click sounds constantly.

Other than that, non-burned PS1 games are not readable. I tried taking the PS2 apart and search for the mod chip to remove it so that "at least" I can just play non-burned games, but failed to do so.

I hope someone could help me out on this because I miss playing the PS2 for 7 months now. Thanks a lot.

Oh yeah, here is my PS2's Model No. if necessary:

SCPH-50010/N

- Orion

Last edited by Orion_hui; Apr 27, 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:16 AM

Hi Orion,

this is almost definately a laser problem.

There are a couple of things to check for. First is that the laser eye is clean and free of dust. There are two 'eye's on a laser the first is on top which you can see, the other is below. You'll need to remove the laser and clean both eyes with a q-tip and alcohol so the alcohol evaporates to leave no residue. Rubbing alcohol etc can be used for this.

Next is the white cog and azimurth screws can be adjusted to coax more life from the laser if cleaning doesn't sort your problem. The link below will help with this. your white cog may be a single but the principal would be the same.

***********.cyber-mag.com/station/laserV9.htm

Finally you may need to look at actually repacing your laser. This is probably your best option as aside from cleaning all other solutions would just be prolonging things rather than a solution.

Hope that's of help.

Ghost

For all your premod, swap magic, chips and fitting services for the UK/EU visit us at www.ghost2fitter.co.uk
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:47 PM

Ok, first of all, I have no idea what will happen to the mod chip if the lens is replaced with a new one. Will the mod chip still work normally? Or will the mod chip need to be removed and be replaced with another mod chip that is compatible with the new lens? This is confusing : (.

On the other hand, I tried using a q-tip with pure alcohol to clean the lens. Then I tested with a normal non-burned PS2 CD to see if the lens can read it or not. It is worse now because previously, it would at least get into the game, but now, just stops at the "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation 2..." screen.

I think I fiddled around with the little screw beside the lens that is supposed to raise/lower the lens angle. Now I cannot remember the original height of the screw : (. SO FRUSTRATING! I want to calm down, but because I basically have no experience on fixing a PS2, this is probably a good time to learn or else the next PS2 that I might buy will be in this same situation (after it gets modified of course).

I think I also fiddled with this suspicious white object that sticks out of the lens compartment to the right. This white object (in my opinon) is supposed to be touching the gold metal coil on the right side of the PS2. However, when it was touching the gold metal coil, it would make an annoying *bzzzzzz" sound when the PS2 is trying to read a CD/DVD. This sound is caused by the white object hitting against the metal coil when the metal coil (my guess) is moving. Therefore, I lifted up the white object so it does not touch the metal coil, and now the "bzzz" sound is gone, but I think that was not something I should have done. I could restore the white object's position, but that "bzzz" sound will return.

This is more complex than it seems.

- Orion
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:07 AM

Hi Orion,

no the chip is not affected with laser change.

The screw and white cog settings have adjust the laser skew and hight, it sounds like the screw setting (azimurth) has been screwed completely down which would result in the buzzing noise. You shouldn't lift the white sled arm as it will no longer be contacting with the laser runner and would not move the laser to read any discs.

If you haven't already moved the white cog you should mark the starting position of this as a point of reference as indicated in the link. It can be a time consuming process to adjust both white cog and azimurth. If you were doing a few of these you'd find that most require altering to the same hights, but for a one off, it is a matter of patience and repitition.
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:18 PM

All right, I seem to be understanding this now.

The question is, do I try and force the white object (white sled arm) to make pure contact with the gold metal coil (laser runner) so that the runner will be able to move the lens back and forth while it is reading the disc? I mean, true, the white sled arm may still constantly hit against the coil, causing the "bzzz" sound, but how else would I fix this, other than putting something heavy on the white sled arm and trying to make it permanently fixed upon the laser runner?

Hmm, now I remember. The "bzzz" sound already happened before I even touched that white sled arm, which means it was because I fiddled around with the little screw that raises/lowers the lens. My plan right now is to raise/lower the lens at a point (hoping the white sled arm will be fixed upon the runner) where the lens will be able to read discs again (without that annoying "bzzz" sound). At least get that fixed, and then worry about other matters later. Is this plan all right, may I ask?

- Orion
Old May 02, 2006, 12:49 PM

Hi Orion,

the best way to put the sled arm back in place is to remove the laser and check the arm is at a right angle.

if you have screwed the azmith down tight then loosening should stop the buzz noise yes.