CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 08, 2006, 06:15 AM

sponsored links

I also agree with flyingscotsman that you would be best getting a pro to fit the mod for you, as there is a great danger that it will never work again if you install it yourself, But if you would like to try it for yourself i would recommend that you have a look at other installs that have been done, as this will give you a better idea of where to run the wires ect, and yes you can use tape rather than glue if you wish.

Last edited by VR6 2.9; Jun 08, 2006 at 06:17 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2006, 01:13 PM

well unfortunately in India there are no pro-fitters like in the U.S. There are electricians who do this kind of stuff, and there are people who do fit ps2 mod chips but they are all clones, and I don't really trust them to do a good job.

So basically the danger of screwing up my ps2 is from soldering at the wrong point and such right? Is there anything else? I have opened up my ps2 and changed the laser successfully a bunch of times, but haven't done a mod chip install yet, so that's why I would like a guide especially one that highlights anythign I should keep in mind so as to not mess up my ps2. And of course if the guide is written specifically for the duo3, all the more better.

What would you guys recommend in terms of getting an introduction to soldering?
Old Jun 08, 2006, 01:26 PM

Firstly we are all in the UK, and you could send any of us your ps2 by airmail it isnt that expensive and at least that way you would have a good working unit returned. If it is indeed a v12 then you must also fit a laser fix and this does include cutting a track on the motherboard.

There isnt a guide as such to soldering the duo chip, they are all the same as explained to you by the pro's who have already answered you. My advice would be for you to get an old pc motherboard and practice soldering alot before attempting this.

You will need a few things;

Fibreglass Pencil to remove the anti solder from the motherboard, you'll also need kynar wire, one of 30awg, and the other 22-24awg. You will also need some solder, solder paste, for you I would definately recommed desoldering braid, a soldering iron and dont go get a cheap one as they simply aren't worth it. Some solder, a mult-meter, a magnifier preferably with a light.

So esentially before you buy all of this and still blow your console, you would infact be cheaper by sending it to either myself, vr6 or ghost, all of whom would do the job for you and we are all reputable guys so you wont get ripped off.

Ghost, vr6 if I've missed anything please add .

Regards

Keith
Old Jun 08, 2006, 02:45 PM

I would definitely send it to a pro.
I just attempted my own mod install of a Duo2 and it has been a very long time since I have soldered and I screwed up something. Now I have to look for someone to repair my PS2 V1 and still not sure if I successful got all the points right on the chip.
Dont risk it and send it to someone over in the UK
Old Jun 08, 2006, 06:06 PM

Would agree with FS. If you really want to have a go at installing then get the right kit and practice on an old board till you're happy with your work.

We all started somewhere, so if you're hoping to do more than just the one take your time, practice and get the right equipment.

If this is a one off install then by the time you've bought everything you need for the install you really would be better off having it fitted for you.

Chip position varies from installer to installer, as long as your chip is secure, not on top of any smaller smd's that may be damaged by placement of your chip and that it is not raised to ground on the heat shielding you can place your chip where ever you like. If you google search your board version you'll find plenty of picture installs.

Again have a search for recommended soldering techniques and you'll find some guides out there, but there is nothing like practice.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 03:16 PM

Well this is a one-off install, so maybe I will take your advice and go for a professional job. I really appreciate you guys offering your services, but the thing is that the shipping charges would be prohibitive. If I was in the UK I would have definitely have gone to one of you, but such is life.

Given my apprehension to go to the people who do mod ps2s here, would it be advisable to get a proper electrician to do the job? I mean someone who is used to soldering and repairs home electronics (TVs, VCRs) and such?

p.s. my above mentioned apprehension stems from the fact that most of these guys who mod ps2s here use cheap wires, and don't give a damn about grounding /anti-static kind of stuff, and also once they finish the install, instead of laying the wires neatly like in the pictures of many installs, they just sort of throw it all in there together...