CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:58 PM

sponsored links

Yes it would, as long as they are competent with a soldering iron and can follow a diagram. If you are not sure, ask to see some of their work, then decide for yourself by comparing to any of the install pics posted all over the net by the pro fitters.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:14 AM

Ok so I opened up my ps2, and discovered that the *sshole who put the existing modchip forgot to put in/ stole [B]all[/B] the screws that hold the metal shield to the board, as well as the screw that holds the controller ports!!!! So I am pretty much not going to the guy again!!! Here's a link to the job he did:
[URL=********img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf01014nx.jpg]Pic of previous installation

Also, notice the cloned chip!:
[URL=********img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf01035cv.jpg]Pic of Cloned Matrix Infinity

I've also decided to install the new modchip myself now. I think with a couple of days of practice on old boards I should be able to get it down to the level that I don't screw it up.

Couple of questions:
  • How should I remove the old chip? Should I just disconnect the wires (by cutting them) or should I also use the desolder wick to desolder the old points? (Some of the points are common between the old and new chip but not all).
  • The instructions I got recommended taping the solder points so that they don't short with the metal shield.Should I tape up the whole thing like this guy did, or should I just tape the points themselves? Wouldn't it get too hot by taping up the whole thing as in the first image?

Last edited by vebmetal; Jun 15, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:51 AM

Man thats one mega fugly messy install and them clones are crap to say the least. I cant see the soldering up close so its hard to say about the wire but I would remove them all and start fresh with a descent chip!!

All you have to do to remove them is get your solder iron tip wet, thn touch the joint whilst gently pulling the wires and the should come off easy enough.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 02:48 PM

heh, fugly was the word that came to my mind when I first saw it too!!

That's why I think the time I would need to invest in learning how to solder may just be worth it.

by "wet" do you mean by water? Also, does that mean that I leave any solder that's attached to the board as it is and don't desolder it? In that case should I put a slight bit of tape on it so that it doesn't short with the metal shield?

Actually what do you recommend in terms of taping in general? Should I tape jsut the solder points (on the board and the chip) or the whole damn install setup like this guy has done.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:39 PM

No! What I meant was just put a little solder on the tip to "wet" it. This helps with heat transfer and will liquify the solder on the wires quicker.

Unless there are large blobs of solder I wouldnt bother trying to clean them just dont put too much more on when attaching the new wires.

In regard to the wires, I usually just make sure they are stuck to the board and I usually cover the solder points so that they dont short on the metal shiels. You dont need to use a roll of tape, just a few bits to hold the wires in place. Also dont try and tape wire to the points as this wont work ( just in case you missinterpreted what I was saying:-) )
Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:01 AM

What do you cover the solder points with? hot glue? what all can I use to cover the points with?