CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 08, 2006, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Default Monitor has lines, squares, etc on it. All messed up

sponsored links

My computer was fine all day - and every day for the past year that i've had it. I shut it down then turned it on later on. When it boots there are all these lines and squares/rectangles,etc all over as its booting and also in Windows. I can barely see anything. I checked out my other PC on the same monitor and it was fine.

Is my videocard memory messed up? why would it just happen like that? i didnt install anything new or touch my PC. i reseated my memory and my videocard but still got the same things.

anyone have any idea?

I have a P4 3.0GHZ
2 GB corsair ddr400 memory
x800 XT PE video card

and if it's the video card, am i screwed or does ATI have a good warranty policy? I also have a 3rd party cooling fan on it (arctic coolers or whatever they are)
Old Jun 08, 2006, 06:54 PM
Veteran

It looks like it could be the video card.

Is it possible to try your other comps video card in this comp to see if there is still a prob, if you can and its working ok this will prove vid card is stuffed.

colin.
Old Jun 08, 2006, 07:20 PM
Veteran

yeah...it will be a pain in the *** to do, but i guess i have to.

Would a video card just do that out of nowhere? arent there usually warning signs like artifacts or anything?
Old Jun 09, 2006, 07:21 AM
Veteran

Electronic equipment tends to fall over without warning. Usually one tiny part of it (maybe a semiconductor or capacitor inside a chip) will pop its clogs. That can have a chain reaction down the line which will kill off dozens or hundreds of other tiny devices. Trouble is, because these things work at such high frequencies this can all happen in a matter of seconds. Seems sudden to us, but it`s ages to a Hi-frequency component.
When I used to service TV and Video gear people used to say; "It can`t be faulty, it was alright last night". My reply was something along the lines; "Well our cat can`t be dead then, cos it was alive last night, but we buried it this morning". (For cat substitute "dog, "budgie", "goldfish", "grandma" etc..)
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:30 AM
Veteran

I believe ATI gives a 3yr warranty (and the card is less than 3 years old)...But my 2 questions are:

1- What if i cant find the receipt (i couldve sworn that i ordered it through either newegg or zipzoomfly) but i cant find the receipt and they dont have it online

2- what if i used a third party cooling fan for the card? Will they still honor the warranty or does that void it?

Thanks
Old Jun 09, 2006, 02:07 PM
Veteran

For the answer to that you`d have to ask ATI.
Closed Thread