CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:03 PM

Default Windows System Error IP Conflict

sponsored links

hello, this is the problem i'm having. I have 4 computers in my house on broadband and all wirelesss using a dlink router. 3 of them have a dlink wireless cards. I also have a dlink wireless cam, a dlink wireless printer server and and dlink wireless Range Extender. I keep getting this message "Windows system error" "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" I checked all my computers and they all have different ip addresses. I have also manually assigned them their own ip addresses and still getting this error. It pretty much started after I added the Range extender but I can't get rid of this at all. Sometimes it gets to the point that it continously keeps popping up after you click it off and sometimes I get the gray box in the middle of my screen with the same message and it won't go away. Is there anything out there that i can do to get rid of this problem? other than that, everything workd fine. any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Alkatrazz3

Last edited by alkatrazz3; Sep 21, 2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:00 PM

Lightbulb

I'd check out whether your range extender hasn't picked up on a wireless device outside of your little home network. Maybe your neighbour has a wireless network too. It is I admit a remote possibility, as what are the chances of someone else having a similar IP Range as you? But as always it remains a possibility, and until you can safely eliminate this you'll never know.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:26 AM

how do i check that? i can check the signal and the only 2 showing are the routers and the extender.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 07:36 PM

I take it you have WEP enabled encryption on your wireless network. If so this should stop your device picking up unauthorised external sources. Have you checked for IP addresses on your routers and your extender? I'm assuming it's a wireless extender and not hard wired?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 06:29 PM

I'd recommend setting all your computers and wireless devices to use DHCP, so that the router won't assign duplicate IPs. Also, have DHCP only running on one router, in case that confuses it.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 04:35 AM

I'm having the same problem here.

Multiple machines all on a wireless network (with an ActionTec Wireless point/DSL Modem), with an extra access point. I've WEP enabled, since there's at least one other wireless network in the area for sure (prob. neighbors) and another that shows up from time to time (no idea what it is). Running DHCP with all the machines and the AP/Modem.

Yesterday morning, it was working fine. I left on a day trip, leaving my computer and both APs on for sure -- other machines may have gone on or off, but that's pretty normal. When I got back, it was still working fine. Then I reset the AP/Modem before getting ready for bed. And the Error started popping up -- strangely it's had little or no noticeable effect -- and it's only on my machine -- none of the other computers on the network are having the issue. If anything, there might be a slight burp when the message first pops up (webpages won't load for a second or two), but it goes right back on track -- doesn't interrupt downloads or anything. Even if I leave the message box up. And if I click on it to get more info/make it disappear, it goes away -- no deatils, no nothing, just disappears, and then comes back irregularly later. It's really quite annoying having it keep popping up, even though it apparently isn't really affecting anything.

I've tried resetting the AP/Modem, restarting my own computer, switching my computer over to a static IP temporarily, and it still randomly pops up. The only things I haven't tried are 1)disconnecting the other AP temporarily (it's in another room, and I'd have to disturb people), 2)changing the WEP key to something new, 3) changing wireless channels. I'm not sure what else would be causing the error.

Any help in getting rid of the bloody thing would be appreciated.