CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:28 PM

Default Network has internet but file sharing and device sharing are not functioning

sponsored links

I'm configuring a wireless network for a neighbor with netgear components (usure of system specs on the computers) however am encountering a series of problems.

after configuring the router for wireless networking and to act as an acccess point using remote acess via a laptop I am able to get internet connection and connection to the router on the computers on the network. The problem arises when I attempt to access the workgroup as on one computer either the window locks up or comes up with various and always different error messages each time.

On the other computer (a laptop) I am able to access the workgroup however the other computer is not located in the workgroup at all. As such I am unable to access the shared files on either computer and it appears as though the computers simply do not detect each other.

I have spent about 6 to 8 hours already on this problem doing various google searches, trying out various things including:
Standard wireless network setup
Manual WEP configuration
Manual network base configuration
Automatic WEP configuration
Searched for newer utilities and drivers
Re-Configured everthing twice (From Start)
Used several online guides, which were of no use (about.com, microsoft guide, Linksys guide.)
Pinged the computers and routher fomr each other (1->2 1->R 2->R 2->1) and all responded to the router however only the desktop responded to the laptop, the laptop did not respond to the desktop ping.

As well as a number of things that I can't recall off the top of my head.

All help is appreciated

Last edited by vilidice; Jun 26, 2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:51 AM

As a new development when I configured an ADHOC network the desktop computer has connected to the network however the laptop does not show the adhoc network in the list of availible networks.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 01:21 PM

Question i am a complete beginner

i have a desktop and laptop linked to a netgear network on aol and dont have a clue on where to start on how 2 file share but i need to share my files from my desktop to my laptop, and need to print from my laptop but without taking it downstairs all the time any help would be greatly appreciated thnx