CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:17 PM

Default X3 Ce

sponsored links

I was looking to purchase the X3 CE chip with the screw on attachment for solderless use. I don't know much about the xbox chips ( I have never done one). I want to use this on an xbox that was given to me for free from a friend that tried to softmod (hot swap) without backing up anything. I have read A TON of posts concerning locked drives and mod chips. I went to xbox-scene.com and looked over the Table with the different chips and their uses. I noticed that for the eeprom repair it said that it doens't repair eeprom. Is that for the physical chip or the locking/unlocking aspect of eeprom?

I guess my down and dirt question is: After I install the X3 CE, can I rebuild the hard drive to run unmodded and take the X3 CE out? This way the xbox is like it was before he messed with it. I want to know mostly because I know quite a few people that said they want me to fix their xbox, but I'm going to buy X3 CE's for everyone. I just want one for myself, and to fix my friends' xboxes. If it will not let me lock a hard drive with the original eeprom, will it atleast let me mod the xbox to run at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin

P.S. I have a temp email setup for forum response request at [email]faldonfan@hotmail.com[/email] if you wish to email me any info instead of post. (Please don't sign me up for spam lists)
Old Jul 25, 2006, 04:57 PM
Veteran

you need to provide more info...

what error are you getting
can it run a retail game
did he delete anything from the hd
is the hd the original one that came with the box

the purpose of the modchip is to bybass the normal boot process..htus allowing unsigned code to run... if he didn't sause the eeprom, the box can be saved using the chip (the chip needs to be flashed with a suitable bios first) and slayers auto installer for the original ms C: drive files, and to run an original xbox game to redo the softmod. save yourself time and aggrevation.. send it to someone more experienced to fix it.... send it to me

Last edited by TreFacTor; Jul 25, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:42 AM

The down and dirty is:

he Tried the hotswap. Didn't successfully unlock the drive and thought he did. Ran a format from a linux disk and deleted his partitions. Wiped out all of his information including his EEPROM.BIN. Now he has a perfect xbox with the original hard drive (of course the hard drive doesn't work though). It WILL NOT boot anything, AT ALL. Knowing that the EEPROM is intact, using the X3 CE could I boot the system, rebuild the hard drive (being the hard drive is the only problem), remove the X3 CE, and have a standard non-modded xbox running and working? If there is a much simpler way, let me know. I want to do this myself so I can gain the knowledge and experience, and possibly help out the xbox community with general answers to general questions. Learn and Grow. It's what my life is about.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 01:55 PM

dustinw, you will need to get a modchip and a bios suitable fro the version of xbxo in question. use a good xbox to flash the chip, then use that to chip the duff xbox, rebuild the hdd makeing sure you lock it, then remove the chip if want it back to standard.

if the eeprom is hosed then you'll need to get an eeprom.bin for your region of xbox (usa, europe etc.) and embed it into your bios before flashing the chip in the good xbox, then rebuild hdd and use tools (configmagic????sommat like that anyway) to rewrite the xbox eeprom, lock drive, remove chip...back to standard.

i don't actually own a xbox any more and it must be atleast 2 years since i played around with an xbox so my info may well be quite outdated. goto xbox scene and study the tutorial section(...if it's still there?, should cover most of it in much greater detail, goodluck

or send it to tre, he has experienced broken xboxes...heheh

hi tre, what's up?...i finally got broadband about a month ago, an 8mb line (in reality 6.2mb-down/370kbps-up, not too shabby) but i'm bored 5h1ttless with it already!...pah!

__
arthur
Old Aug 02, 2006, 12:23 AM
Veteran

wassup arthur_p_huxake I've missed ya round here, i've been modding the hell out of san andreas ... i've been telling these newbs to just send em to me, if there's a problem, then i've probably caused it, or experienced it.....lol good to see ya round here again.
Old Aug 05, 2006, 10:42 AM

hey tre,

all's good over here. glad to see your still alive and kicking too, san andreas was great fun to hack, what other stuff did you figure out?

anyways, dustinw, have you sorted your xbox probs?

__
arthur

p.s. i'm surprised i can sign in with this username...i had an stella wobble last weekend and cussed the cdrg webmaster here summit rotten, next day i was banned!...now i'm not again? cheers webby, i forgive you too