CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 04, 2006, 04:40 AM

Default Modchip options

sponsored links

I am wondering what would be the best chip for me or if i should go with the ways that u manually open the cd drive. Does the type of chip limit the options that i have on my console? I have modded a few xboxs before but not ps2. are there applications that can be loaded on the ps2 like media players, ect, or is the ps2 mod chips sitrictly only let backed up games play and no other applications be loaded onto the ps2.

Mostly i want to b able to play the backed games I have of my own discs to take to college so If someone steals the games, i can just recopy my own, only loose the cost of the dvd-rs instead of the actual games.

what other options, besides the ability to play backed up games, do you have with the ps2 modded? also will all of the backed p ps2 games work on a modded ps2?

any help is greatly appreciated
Old Dec 04, 2006, 07:07 AM

some of the best chips are the matrix infinities or the DMS range

there are media players that will play dvix etc,but they are not that good

latest chips will allow you to boot dvd-9 games

basically a chipped ps2 will play just games really

a modded ps2 will play nearly 100% of backed up ps2 games
there are only 2 games that i know of that cant be copied due to anti-mod detection protection,and they are rubbish
Old Dec 04, 2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SKIN
some of the best chips are the matrix infinities or the DMS range

there are media players that will play dvix etc,but they are not that good

latest chips will allow you to boot dvd-9 games

basically a chipped ps2 will play just games really

a modded ps2 will play nearly 100% of backed up ps2 games
there are only 2 games that i know of that cant be copied due to anti-mod detection protection,and they are rubbish
does the chips need to be flased at all? I know the way the xbox chips work is that they copied the xbox's stock BIOS, modded it and put it on the IRC channel #xbins for people to download, but they shipped with a linux BIOS for legal reasons.

Also I havnt opened up to see the internals of the ps2 but is ther a hard drive in it also? I am just starting out and i dont think it will be too hard at all to mod a ps2 sicne i am able to to xbox's. im just trying to learn how everything works in the ps2 right now.

I just looked on a website and they have Matrix Infinity ModChip
(Green Dot Version) for $44 that i am thinkingof getting. what is the difference between that one and the or the $49 DMS.

Also I was reading the DMS and they were talking about increased error checking and things like that...does that mean that a lot of the game might just crash durring play because of some error checking gone bad? any explaination of that would be helpful

thanks for the help so far
Old Dec 04, 2006, 10:04 AM

yes,some chips are flashable with different firmware,the matrix uses toxic OS for example
there is no hardrive for the ps2,although games can be run off a hardrive,but thats a different set-up altogether,as you need a network adapter for the older fatty ps2,or a hd connect for the slim version,also needed is a external HD.using a HD btw means a few games wont work,and psx games wont work either

back to the chips,there aint much difference in the top of the line matrix and the DMS pro to be honest,the crystal chip is also a good choice
stay away from modbo's (cheap clones)
you should be able to easily mod a ps2 if you have modded xbox's tbh,but remember if you have a v12,it will need a laser fix also

1)decide which chips suits you on price and what you need it for
2)do your research on the chip/version of ps2 you have
Old Dec 04, 2006, 02:32 PM

one thing i was reading on modchip.com is that the DMS has better error correction nad noise filtering...does that mean that the games might stop working durrign game play due to the chip not being able to fool the PS2 completly?

Im not wanting to play PSX games, i just want to play games on it basically.

also, how would you flash the chip and where do u get the files to do that? is it a same type of thing like #Xbins is for xbox?
Old Dec 04, 2006, 02:37 PM

you shouldnt have any problems with games stopping during playing,its probably just some fancy feature they throw in thb,
only thing stopping gameplay once its loaded,is poor quality dvd disk