CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Dec 03, 2006, 11:39 AM

Default Solution

sponsored links

After installing windows xp SP2 pack and seriously screwing up my computer to the extent that it reboots over and over again, and then experiencing this "not enough memory lsass.exe" fiesta, I found the solution to this abominable problem after 2 days of painful research.
(of course i'm just a newb who came upon this info from a post by a professional - i give extreme thanks to the one who actually posted this info for me to discover)

(IF YOU WANT THE INFO TO HOW TO STOP REBOOTING AT WINDOWS LOGO SCREEN, READ ALL THE WAY)
(IF YOU WANT THE INFO TO "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" FIESTA, READ BOTTOM)

Basically my problem was a combination of two things. After I installed the SP2 pack, the computer was rebooting uncontrollably at that screen where the "windows xp professional logo" pops up and those blue blocks keeps traveling up that bar (with copyright microsoft sign on the left bottom corner). So I popped in the XP CD as soon as I turned on the computer, restarted, and booted off the CD. I went into "set up Windows XP by pressing ENTER," pressed f8 to that agreement stuff and then pressed R to repair my windows. (DON'T DO FRESH INSTALLATION COZ THAT DELETES EVERYTHING IN YOUR COMPUTER) After an hour of waiting for the repair to finish (I faced some problems when the CD complained of missing files but if you have this problem basically you gotta direct it to go to where the file is in the folder ... I think these missing files may be what caused this next problem) I restarted the computer and expected everything to be fine. BUT HELL NO. NOW THIS FREAKIN ANNOYING "lssas.exe" NOT ENOUGH VIRTUAL MEMORY OR PAGING FILING QUOTA IS AVAILABLE TO COMPLETE THE SPECIFIED OPERATION MESSAGE!!!

Basically, I used another computer to go on the internet, and found professional info on how to fix this stuff. These are the two steps I tried and I'm not sure which one actually fixed it so you should try both.
*webtree.ca had a lot of helpful stuff .. thank it

1)
How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"

2) this is from microsoft support

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
6. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step five, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To use this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery Console:
batch regcopy1.txt
With the batch command in Recovery Console, you can process all the commands in a text file sequentially. When you use the batch command, you do not have to manually type as many commands.

And think i was about to buy another HDD and go through switching HDDs ... WHEW!! THANK GOD!!!

I know my computer's problems might have been different than others' but if you found this info helpful, please spread it around!!!!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:47 PM

burea1124

Cheers for that m8
dont need it but its always good to know just in case
Old Dec 12, 2006, 08:52 PM

I just signed up on this forum to say THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big help! saved me a TON of headache. thanks again! post more!
Old Dec 25, 2006, 05:15 PM

Default Me too

I had the exact same problem, you saved my sanity
Old Aug 03, 2008, 05:11 AM

Smile Big THANKSSSSSSS TO burea1124

I also just signed up to say THANKS YOU VERY MUCH to Burea1124.
I spent over 5 hours trying to fix this problem and you've got a solution.

THANKS A MILLION BUDDY.
john
Closed Thread