CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD Tutorials and Guides
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, 2006, 01:32 PM

Default info on video formats commonly used

sponsored links

I am a real newbie when it comes to video. I get video in different forms and have

been experimenting with the winavi program. All i have done is convert a few movies

to dvd format.

Here's my problem. I dont know what the difference is between dvd, avi, and all the

many other video formats. Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains all this?
If so, i would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:34 AM

hey nork bro !(or sis if u r a girl )
as u know there are many many vdo formats in movie world.There is no need to worry abt if u r a newbie 'coz we r here 4 ya'
NOW look (*.AVI) is only a vdo format which may be run by special playerz like Jet Audio or like that
(*.VOB) is espiciallay a DVD-Video Format & is may also be run by special player (Jet Audio runs DVD Formats).

NOW if u have any prob.juss push me a PM

Last edited by Pilot64; Dec 15, 2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the reply,Pilot64.
Im a guy.
I was hoping that somewhere someone had written a tutorial on the different audio and video formats. That may not be the case, or it may be the case, but i dont know where it is.

Its just very daunting for a newbie.
One problem i have right now is with the Winavi prog that i have. I have a movie that is in bin\cue format and specifially made for a cdrom. I have been using winavi to convert avi files to dvd and that has worked fine, but this bin\cue wont work. I did burn the bin\cue to to a cdr. There were special instructions as the bin\cue files are called kvcd format, basically a vcd from what i have read.
When the bin\cue burned to cd it worked and i was able to play the movie on my dvd player, havent tried it on a standalone yet, might or might not work. Anyway, the bin\cue format, when burned, produces 4 folders, EXT, MPEGAV, SGEMENT, and VCD. I tried, using, nero to convert the bin\cue to burn to a dvd, but it wants to burn to a cdr and wont change. The only burn it will do is burn the actual bin\cue files to a dvd media, which is useless except as an archive, lol.

So thats the help i was looking for at the moment, but again, i was hoping that someone had taken the time to make a tutorial of the various formats of video and even audio if such tuts exist anywhere.

thanks
Old Dec 15, 2006, 08:16 PM
Veteran

You can extract the files that are in the bin file with something like IsoBuster as i do.

If it is a film in say avi format you can then convert it to DVD etc.

colin.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 11:30 PM

chandler68, thanks for your input. I will have to try the isobuster method.
But, in the meantime, i did get it working using winavi.
Instead of trying to use the bin\cue files I used the files that were created from the bin\cue files and that worked. Winavi converted them to dvd format and i only then had to burn it on a dvd.

thanks
Old Sep 12, 2007, 04:09 AM

Default how do i

how do i convert a cue file with winavi to an avi file this is frustrating me i cant figure it out
Closed Thread