CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 04, 2007, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Default 64bit system

sponsored links

Not long ago i replaced my mobo/CPU etc, not knowing that the new board etc was a 64bit system, til a few days ago.

Now i am getting ready to upgrade to XP 64bit.

I have found though that the voyager 105 modem i have will not work in a 64bit system, is there aq way round this or do i need to get a new modem that will work on a 64bit system and vista, if so any idea as to what would be the best to go for.

I have been looking at the voyager 210, this is visa compatable but not XP 64bit, unless someone knows otherwise.

Thanks for any info.

colin.
Old Mar 06, 2007, 04:00 PM

If i were you i would get a modem or a router that connects to you pc through ethernet. No drivers to worry about I have a Linksys router that I've never had a real problem with. Just the odd switch it on and off time to time.

I also have a 64bit system but decided to not make the jump from normal 32 bit XP due to lack of drivers. Hope this is of some use to you.
Old Mar 06, 2007, 06:24 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the reply KoolKid99.

I wont be changing over just yet as i am finding out what versions of the progs i use will work on a 64bit system first.

And getting the drivers for my hardware etc.

So i will look for a modem/router that connects via ethernet, thanks.

colin.
Old Mar 08, 2007, 05:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKid99
If i were you i would get a modem or a router that connects to you pc through ethernet. No drivers to worry about.

To clarify, the ethernet card or chip still needs drivers.

Unlike USB however, you don't need drivers for the modem itself if it's via Ethernet.

Not much point going to 64 bit at this stage, unless you have a need for heaps of System RAM and virtual RAM. (usually more than 4 GB)
Old Mar 08, 2007, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Thanks Insomniac, been waiting for you to show yourself. as if anyone would know you would.

I have been told that the onboard LAN port can be used, and i do have the 64bit drivers for this, thanks for clearing the modem prob up, as i was under the impression that you would still need the 64bit drivers for the modem, as it is you dont.

You say that it needs plenty of mem, i have been checking up on the 64bit etc, but not come across this issue, but will take your word on that.

I will not be going over to the 64 system yet, as i am checking for the 64 versions to the progs/hardware i use first, no point if i cant have them running.

colin.
Old Mar 09, 2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Not much point going to 64 bit at this stage, unless you have a need for heaps of System RAM and virtual RAM. (usually more than 4 GB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler68
You say that it needs plenty of mem, i have been checking up on the 64bit etc, but not come across this issue, but will take your word on that.
colin.
Colin, I think he means it supports more RAM than 32bit xp. Nice to see your still about, Insomniac.