CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:39 PM

Default Technical Question

sponsored links

Hi,

I have a Samsung 24X modular bay type CDROM (goes into a Dell Latitude CPi laptop) and would like to know what the pinouts are for the connector. Specifically - what pins have the audio signals? Its a CD-Master 24E Model SN-124. Thanks!

Tim
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:07 AM

Default Technical Question

I guess no one knows?!? Come on!! Someone has to have some sort of clue!!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
Veteran

How the hell do you expect anyone other than the maker to know this.

Laptops are designed and made acording to what the makers want, all drives are then made for this item, they differ from model to model, also from maker to maker.

So unless you can get hold of a circuit diagram for this model (and trying to get this will be impossible), i very much dought if anyone can answer this.

colin.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 04:41 PM

Well any responce at all would have been nice - even saying how in hell would anyone know this...so thanks I guess?

I would imagine there is a standard configuration pinout for CDROMs in general considering you can swap out a tower type internal CDROM from any machine to almost any other - which may or may not be the same for laptop modular bay type CDROMs. I am actually pretty sure it is considering there are different manufactureres for laptop cdroms and they must all have the same pinout - thus its standardized...For instance - I have a Samsung modular bay CDROM - I know that Panasonic and Toshiba also make these types of CDROMs for my laptop. They must all have the same pinout (also known as being "Standardized"). Who knows, I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

I know a regular internal tower type of CDROM has the audio on pins 1 (audio L), pin 2 (audio R), and pin 3 (audio GRND). I am pretty sure its the same for laptops, but I would like to know for sure before making any modifications. So does anyone have any ideas?
Old Mar 23, 2007, 08:51 PM

I forgot to mention this CDROM has no seperate audio connector (usually 4 pin) - and Chandler68, if thats what you are talking about, then I sincerley apologize, your right in that respect. There are many different configurations for the ****og audio cable that connects directly to the sound card - however - I am refering to the IDE bus as this particular CDROM has no seperate ****og audio connector. I have been fighting this problem for months now trying to get cd audio in DOS on the laptop - and being unfamiliar with laptops did not realize there was no direct ****og audio connection to the sound card (hense the cdrom will spin up and look like its running, but alas no cdrom audio in DOS...) I thought for the longest time it was something to do with the autoexec or config files (I am running Win95), drivers for the cdrom, or audio card, irq problems, or even the dos programs that run the cdrom - only to find out that the connection simply is not there. Now I am determined to hardwire the cdrom audio output directly to the line input on the sound card, and so i need to know where the cdrom audio comes out on the IDE bus. My only recourse if no one can help is to perhaps record a 1000Hz tone, rip my laptop apart, and rig it to work like that so I can get to the cdrom pins, then connect test leads to a frequency counter and touch one pin at a time while the 1000Hz tone is playing to find the audio. That will be a HUGE pain, and I may end up with a dead laptop. Sorry for the long post, but I thought I should explain better...
Old Mar 25, 2007, 04:00 PM
Veteran

The prob with laptops is that they use different pin connections and plug/socket configurations from model to model and maker, this is why when you need to replace one you need to make sure that it is compatabl for your particular make/model.

So as you can see, there is NO general pin connection configuration for laptop comps like there is for a normal PC.

The only way to obtain this would be from a circuit diagram, but as i have said would be next to impossible to get, or from the makers them selfs.

colin.