CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 31, 2007, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

sponsored links

Blocking install is Micro$$oft's latest idiotic idea for security and stability.

Vista also blocks you from installing unsigned drivers (There are ways around that, but it's a pain in the arse)

It costs a lot of money to get drivers signed by Micro$$oft, and smaller companies don't always have the time or resources to do so, yet in most cases their drivers are fine.

Anyway, I'm not getting Vista untill at least the end of the year, or when DirectX 10 games hit the scene.

Good luck.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:46 PM

Hello

Its only Vista 64bit thats blocking unsigned drivers, if you use the 32bit verison to which i am (even if you have a 64bit CPU i would recommend running the 32bit of vista) it will let you install unsigned drivers,

You will also find that the driver database included with Vista is massive and most of the peripherals that come with unsigned drivers will have signed drivers developed with the manufactures pre built into the OS signed my microsoft, and if there isn't 9 out of 10 times the search of the best drivers online option comes up trumps.

I was very warey of moving over to Vista at first, i really wonted to see the Aero features, i waited 6 months then built a sperate PC that was a lower spec then mine and used that as a testing platform to make sure everything works correctly before i installed a clean version on my main PC, i was that impressed i have now a main PC running Vista, my laptop running Vista and a Vista Media center PC.

Other then this alcohol 120% problem (thats fixed with the latest verison) i have had no trouble Other then needing to upgrade RAM.

Out of 10 i would rate it 8 only becase a few things about its new ways are annoying and pointless and they have changed the names or where to find things thats been then same accross all OS since 95 and the UAC is stupid, But like most things thay can be truned off or changed.

I wouldn't think about moving back to XP now, i didn't think i would be this impressed with it.

Never thought i would say this but i can see why its taken them 5 years to complete Vista.

Last edited by thegun; Mar 31, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2007, 03:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

A lot of people say it's better than XP.

But so it should be. It's a later version, and took them years to develop.

What annoys me are all the great features they promised, like the WinFS file system, that they later dropped.

To me, Vista is what XP should have been years ago.

I shouldn't be surprised, we are talking about Micro$$oft.

Anyway, hope you enjoy Vista.