CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 27, 2007, 06:02 PM

Default Dreamcast GD-Rom in PC

sponsored links

I missed the Dreamcast era but I'm looking at getting some old dreamcast games and emulating them on my PC. I've done a bit of reading around and wondered if anyone has managed to take the Dreamcast's GD-Rom laser and replace a PC CD-Roms laser with it? I've got an old DVD-+RW drive and I've taken the laser unit out of it but I just haven't got a Dreamcast to grab the laser . Anyone willing to donate a Dreamcast GD-Rom unit or a faulty dreamcast?

I very much doubt the 'transplant' will work, with no drivers and the drives firmware that controls the laser wont know how to read a GD-Rom. It'll just be programmed for CD and DVD media. I don't even know if I'll be able to hook the laser unit up to the drives boards, the connections are probably propriety.

Last edited by RGamer1989; Oct 27, 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 02:32 AM

there is already a dreamcast emulator for the pc... look for chancast
Old Nov 01, 2007, 01:52 PM

I know there's Dreamcast emulators, I just wont a way to backup my GD-Roms to my PC!
Old Nov 02, 2007, 02:57 AM

well you'll need a dreamcast broadband adaptor, or serial cable and a certain bootdisc (sorry, i can't remember the filename...too long ago search around for info on those items. has to be said that the broadband adaptor was the best method but you'll probably have difficulty finding one. the serial cable method takes hours and hours! you'll also need a good knowledge of hexediting and various tools to downsize the games, hack bootstrap etc, etc. there used to be some good tutorials for this but i don't have them and don't know where you'd find them now so you'll have to search for 'dreamcast tutorials'. if you just want to do this for the experience then bravo chap, wish you the best of luck, otherwise just post requests into the dreamcast binary newsgroups for images of the games you want, you might get lucky...

edit: oops, sorry, just read your post again...you don't even have a dreamcast to with yet!?...heheh, ummm?, gooodluck fella, cobblers

Last edited by cobblers; Nov 02, 2007 at 03:17 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 04:14 AM

Lightbulb Problem with this method

As I understand it, it's not any particular aspect of hardware that makes the GD-ROM drive special, but the firmware of the drive. From what I've read, and what a few people who used to work at Sega have told me, modified firmware regulates the speed that the disk is spun, slowing down the rotations while burning data at the same rate of speed, basically stacking the data tighter on itself and increasing the capacity. Right now, I'm trying to find some custom firmware, as I would both like to backup what Dreamcast games I have, and dangit, it'd be an extremely efficient method for backing up data. If I can find any of this info, I'll be more than happy to come back and share it, but I think cobblers is right, this is going to be a heck of an undertaking.
Old Nov 04, 2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblers
well you'll need a dreamcast broadband adaptor, or serial cable and a certain bootdisc (sorry, i can't remember the filename...too long ago search around for info on those items. has to be said that the broadband adaptor was the best method but you'll probably have difficulty finding one. the serial cable method takes hours and hours! you'll also need a good knowledge of hexediting and various tools to downsize the games, hack bootstrap etc, etc. there used to be some good tutorials for this but i don't have them and don't know where you'd find them now so you'll have to search for 'dreamcast tutorials'. if you just want to do this for the experience then bravo chap, wish you the best of luck, otherwise just post requests into the dreamcast binary newsgroups for images of the games you want, you might get lucky...

edit: oops, sorry, just read your post again...you don't even have a dreamcast to with yet!?...heheh, ummm?, gooodluck fella, cobblers
I have a dreamcast, bought one with a few games for £14.99! Now all I'm looking for is a broadband adapter, I'm having a lot of trouble locating one. There's one on a well known auction site for £200! I don't think I'd pay over £20 let alone £200 for a silly broadband extension!

Out of interest, do I still need knowledge of down-sampling the audio etc when all I'm doing is ripping disk images to play on my PC via emulator? I'm not planning on burning my backups, simply making CD images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project D
As I understand it, it's not any particular aspect of hardware that makes the GD-ROM drive special, but the firmware of the drive. From what I've read, and what a few people who used to work at Sega have told me, modified firmware regulates the speed that the disk is spun, slowing down the rotations while burning data at the same rate of speed, basically stacking the data tighter on itself and increasing the capacity. Right now, I'm trying to find some custom firmware, as I would both like to backup what Dreamcast games I have, and dangit, it'd be an extremely efficient method for backing up data. If I can find any of this info, I'll be more than happy to come back and share it, but I think cobblers is right, this is going to be a heck of an undertaking.
I don't mean to ruin your theory but I don't believe that's correct. That's like saying burning a DVD+-R at a slower speed will mean you can fit more on it, which isn't true. From my understanding, Optical media (CD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray etc) has a set groove in place in which the pits are 'burnt' or pressed to.

Last edited by RGamer1989; Nov 04, 2007 at 03:30 PM.