CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 05, 2007, 12:37 PM

sponsored links

umm?..yeah, that's a good point about not having to down-sample for use with an emu...not sure, but i guess you'd be ok?...but then again if you successfully rip a game then you have got to burn it and get it running in your dc, man! surely? even if it was just for the hell of it!

dc bbas have allways been thin on the ground and yeah i seen that bba listed with the trousers-down-£200 price tag! but then considering it's a rare piece of technology it could be considered an **********...heh, just kidding lik-sang used to sell them a long time back, but sony put them out of business...gits! and a google search chucks back many hits but most of it is old news...just keep looking mate.

and i think your right about the the groove and pit thing. also a dc's gdrom unit is a reader not a writer, so it wouldn't burn data anyway! unless you were very clever and could amp it up to overpower the laser to the point where it'll not only burn, but burn at a controllable rate!...but then i may have just made that whole thing up so i can't see that happening any time soon i seem to remember that there was a developers gdrom burner on that same auction site a few years back for some ferocious amount of money, can't remember the exact price i think it sold for well over a £1000! wouldn't it be nice if whoever owned one of them could dump the firmware and maybe give it someone clever enough to make use of it...ah well.

cobblers

edit: that's weird, this forum blocks the word- I N V E S T M E N T

Last edited by cobblers; Nov 05, 2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hi, using the proper drive, it's pretty easy to rip dc games using a swap method.

Read this : ********stc.hacking-cult.org/gd-rom_stuff/
You'd need a Lite-On Ltd-165h : the only known drive being able to rip a complete gd-rom (in two times though, not at once: you rip 45000-359999 then from 360000-549150 and you merge the two files).

I actually own a ltd-165h and tried this many times: IT WORKS WELL, some games like trickstyle can't be rippe using this drive though, god know why.

Also here's a guide written by me explaining the method (in french): ********dreamagain.free.fr/layout.php?p=tutoGD

Goog luck

ps: the cdr400 firmware floating around on the net seems to turn the cdr400 into a "SEGA GD-R 1999 1.00" wich is a gd-writer. It looks like this firmware is legit but it can't amke it read a gd-rom. It can burn blank gd-r though, unsing sega tools, but it crash after 4600 sectors.

-=FamilyGuy=-

[EDIT]

Here's a screeny of one of the first time a gd-rom layout was read via isobuster from a gd-rom. (using an ltd-165h and a swap trick, audio tracks aren't listed nor read but can be ripped using another swap trick:
[IMG]********i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/_FamilyGuy_/IGN-HACK-GD-R.png[/IMG]

Last edited by -=FamilyGuy=-; Nov 10, 2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:09 AM

hey familyguy, thanks man, great info! hopefully these chaps can make use of it...cos it'll probably be easier to find a compatible drive to read a gdrom than a bba anyway

cheers again for enlightening us. personally i didn't know about any of this, wish i still had a dc!

cobblers
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:36 AM

Now I just need to find a Lite-On Ltd-165h , would you sell yours FamilyGuy?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:47 AM

Now I just need to find a Lite-On Ltd-165h , are you willing to sell yours FamilyGuy?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:26 PM

rgamer1989, just put "Lite-On Ltd-165h" into google and this link was on the front page...

***********.computercareus.com/product-desc.asp?modelcode=2467

they have one for $39.99 = that's about 20! email them to check for availability and shipping rates

cobblers