CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD Tutorials and Guides
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 03:50 AM

Default My Experience of DVD Ripping

sponsored links

Many youngsters over 25 yrs old now may still remember the cartoon show Transformers in the mid-1980s. So do I. Besides the later Star War, Transformers is one of the fantastic shows in my memory, and I have still stored an Optimus Prime toy of that. As you know, transformers come back again now.

The movie is much shorter than the cartoon and it contains intensive special effects and actions in the last 30 to 40 minutes. And there are still some changes from the original one: Frenzy transforms to a boombox; Sound wave was no longer a boombox with multiple cassette tapes that could eject and transform, etc.
Generally speaking, itís a wonderful movie and worth cherishing. So I prefer to put it on my iPod. Firstly, I copied it into my PC with some free DVD ripping software, but the free software was really foolish and it made my computer freezing several times. So I resorted to some advanced software, such as Nero. Unfortunately, I canít understand the complex operation instructions for Iím not a professional in ripping. And I do not have much budget. There is some DVD ripping software fit for my basic requirement - easy to use, lower cost. What I got contains DVD Cloner, ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate 5, 1 Click DVD Copy, GoldLeo, Magic DVD Ripper and iSkysoft DVD Ripper. They, as their developers announced, are all free for trial, with time or functions limitation.
Most of the installing processes are quick and easy except iSkysoft DVD Ripper, which is only for Mac users and my computer is with Windows XP.
After installations, I found the interface of Magic DVD Ripper is so simple and dull, not as shinning as the others. Maybe the developer of Magic thinks it is worth the low price. And Iím really confused why GoldLeo places on the first page of Google when entered the keywords "DVD ripper". Besides its confusing interface, the formats I need are less, and the operation is complex. In a word, I canít find advantages of this software except the cheap price.
DVD Cloner can rip DVD to AVI, but not DivX, and it canít support converting to iPod, PSP or other mobile devices, which is not convenient for portable use. Although the price of DVD Cloner is $39.99, a little lower than 1 Click DVD Copy ($59) and ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate ($55), there is no sound reason to pay for it.
As to ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate 5, the preview panel is small and it is not available to edit it. When I used the trial version, it popped up a widow reminding me to register. However, the conversion quality and speed is satisfying among the same type of software. It supports concurrently setting divers output formats for source file, and it offers a button to take snapshots when previewing DVD. ImTOO also offers standard version ($35) and platinum version ($45), and the price for both versions is reasonable.
1 Click DVD Copy, with the highest price, even cannot rip DVD files to AVI, and say nothing of converting to portable devices. Its ripping speed is fairly well, but not obviously higher than ImTOO or DVD Cloner. Why the developers ask for such a high price? Just to persuade users that price means quality?

After many aspects of the comparison, I finally bought ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate 5, and ripped the whole DVD of the Transformer into several segments with very fast speed. In order to ensure that I got the proper selection, I viewed the original DVD and the ripped movie on my computer with a 21Ē LCD displayer. And there is no perceptible distinction. By the way, the captured snapshots are of original DVD quality, fairly suitable for cover use. Data loss always happens when ripping. Anyway, the function of ImTOO DVD Ripper Ultimate 5 is fairly satisfying.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 05:02 AM

I have already tried the software after reading this passage, and the converting quality is excellent! Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avconv

I have already tried the software after reading this passage, and the converting quality is excellent! Thank you!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:34 AM

it's really a very strong software!
Closed Thread