CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 16, 2002, 07:48 AM

Unhappy Spressa Firewire - blows on CDRW rewrite only [Sony Spressa Firewire; CRX1600L; win98SE]

sponsored links

Just bought a Sony Spressa Firewire external CDRW (12-8-32x) and it seems to function fine except when I do a re-write to an existing directory on the RW media using the same file and directory name. I am storing Quicken backup files on a CDRW disk and on the initial write I have no problem but after a couple of rewrites - when I hit the backup buttom in Quicken, the PC starts rebooting.

If I delete the directory first off the CDRW, I have no problems doing the backup - it writes fine - that's why I say it's only a REWRITE problem. I am using Sony abCD as the RW software (v1.6) and I have done several things as recommended by Sony and others - namely buying the high speed media (Maxell 10x CDRW), rename SCSI1HLP.VXD, closing my NAV down, disabling auto insert notification, upgrading my abCD version, upgrading the firmware on the burner, applying the 1394 patch for WIN 98 SE from Miscrosoft and probably a couple of other things I don't remember now. BTW - the PC is a Sony VAIO desktop that came with Firewire ports, PII 400 mhz and 128 RAM.

Sony says to save the backup to the HD first and then drop in into the RW which sometimes works but it also will blow up just as saving straight from Quicken does. I feel that this is probably something simple since the drive works fine otherwise and I have no other issues. Any ideas?
Old Feb 17, 2002, 02:30 AM
Veteran

Yes I can see where this would be a problem. First off packet writing is notoriously unrealiable to begin with. And now you are overwriting the same file name and directory while having to update the TOC at the same time. If these are important files and obviously they are, you are just asking for trouble!
What I would do is start rotating disc's using a different folder name even if the files are the same name. Perhpas using the date as a key..e.g. folder 2-12-02 file name Todays Reciepts.qbs tomorrow folder 2-13-02 etc..
Once the disc is full use another and erase or replace the current one. Also be aware the more times you erase a disc, much like a floppy, the more unrealable it becomes to a certain extent. Since this is important data replace them as often as you can afford.
Reducing the burn speed may also help, but see above^

By far a better more reliable practice would be to burn them as an ISO 9660 disc at the end of the day and rotate discs on a weekly basis. This would also alleviate the time it takes to format them. You still have to erase them but not format to write again.
I would also mention that when it comes to Packet wrting apps the best we have found is still DirectCD. For what ever reason it performs better period.

[img]***********.cdrom-guide.com/ubb/4MoDeRaToRs/SiGnAtUrE_ImAgEs/hoss1.gif[/img]
Old Feb 17, 2002, 07:24 AM

Hoss - this makes sense although I am unsure on a couple of things you said. First off - I don't know how to vary the write speed. The abCD software doesn't seem to allow for that - is there another way to modify the speed? Secondly, I thought I remembered that back when I had my Iomega Zip CD 650 USB (which used DirectCD) I had no problems doing the Quicken backup and your comments just reinforce what I remember. I think the abCD maybe substandard software. What are the chances DirectCD will work with the Spressa drive however?