CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 01, 2010, 01:10 AM

Default How to import and convert M2TS/MTS to iMovie on Mac?

sponsored links

"OK, guys currently I have a lot of AVCHD M2TS/MTS videos, and I need to import to iMovie so that I can edit them further. iMovie reads the m2ts files but my sound freezes up and gets cut like every second, idk why, and another question is what format do most iMovie read, I want to keep the quality high at least 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 if possible."

As an out-standing movie editing and processing tool, iMovie is widely used among Mac users. Mac users can import mts videos of supported AVCHD Camcorders directly to iMovie as it declared on support mac. Still, situations will happen all the time. Lots of Mac users complained failing importing or opening M2TS/MTS files to iMovie on Mac, which will sometimes damage their footages. In order to keep the original footage and avoid the risk of damaging them, you need a third party AVCHD converter for Mac that will convert M2TS/MTS to iMovie supported formats, MOV, MP4, etc on Mac. Free download iFunia AVCHD Converter for Mac ( ***********.ifunia.com/download/ifunia-avchd-converter.dmg ) and convert your M2TS/MTS files to iMovie within the below 3 easy steps.

Step 1. Run iFunia AVCHD Converter for Mac and import M2TS or MTS video files
Now run iFunia AVCHD Converter( ***********.ifunia.com/avchd-converter-mac.html ) on your Mac and click the big button "Add..." to add M2TS/ MTS HD video files, you may add as many MTS videos as you want for batch conversion.
********i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/Radovich/avchd-m2ts-mts-imovie-import-1.jpg

(Optional) Edit videos: crop, trim, add effects, add watermark
This step is optional step. But when you come to review the HD MTS video your taken and find it's too dark or the focus is blurred, you may wanna fix these flaws and apply artistic effects with the Edit Video module of the program. Plus, with just a few clicks, you can crop the MTS video to remove black sides, trim the video and add text or image watermark easily as below.
********i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/Radovich/avchd-m2ts-mts-imovie-edit.jpg

Step 2. Set the output format as HD MP4 and set other settings as you like
Select a HD video output format for each video file and specify a directory on your computer to save the output files. Here we set the output video format to HD MP4 format with 1280*720 resolution which provides a best compromise between file size and video quality. Remember that the output file size mostly depends on the Bitrate you set. Larger Bitrate, larger file size. Actually video with bitrate as 768 is acceptable for watching.
********i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy65/Radovich/avchd-m2ts-mts-imovie-output.jpg

Step 3. Start converting M2TS/ MTS to iMovie MP4 video
Now you may click the big button "Start" to begin converting AVCHD MTS to iMovie MP4 video. The convert progress bar shows you how much of the encoding is completed. The encoding time will depend on several variables including: the duration of the video file, the speed of your computer, what other activity your computer is currently doing and the bitrate you set.

Note:
You can refer to Apple's list of supported camcorders ( ********support.apple.com/kb/HT3290 ) for more types of supported HD cam.

iMovie is a great tool to organize, edit and share clips from camcorders and videos on your Mac. iMovie can also stabilized shaky clips from your camcorder. Although iMovie claims to be compatible with most of the popular HD cam like Canon VIXIA HF200, Panasonic HDC-HS300, Sony DCR-SR47, JVC GZ-HD40, etc. which record videos in M2TS/ MTS format.