CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 18, 2002, 09:54 PM

Question Why can't I find anything better than Direct Connect?

sponsored links

The only thing that helped me find dreamcast games good was Direct Connect but I got slow download speeds with my cable modem.I tried to find this mirc thing but I couldn't find it and how do you use and where can I get to newsgroups.... thanks
!
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:16 PM

i was in the same boat as you until i discovered newsgroups! i get between 150k-300k download speed where i was only getting like 10k on direct connect.

first get grabit. it's a news reader/downloader and it's what i use. it's a very good and easy program for downloading games off newsgroups.

***********.shemes.com/grabit/index.php?p=3

read the FAQ at that site for how to use the program and set it up. basically all you need is your isp's news server's name. it's usually "news" or something. go to your isp's website and get it there or contact your isp.

when you have your news server name, just follow the FAQ on the site where you download grabit. hope it helps.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:34 PM

Ok let me try this again.

First off find out if your ISP has a news server. You can find out by going to your ISP Home page and typing 'news server' in their search window. If one isn't included then you will need to purchase a commercial one. Here is a great news server [url=***********.supernews.com]Supernews

Next you will need a news reader. You should start out with a simple one like Newsshark [url=***********.wmhsoft.com/NewsShark/]Click here
After you get an understanding on how it works I suggest moving up to Agent. Its the best reader out there but can be difficult to get the hang of at first.

Set up Newsshark and it will prompt you to download the available newsgroups. Once it is finished set up the Directory to download your files to a designated folder on your computer. For specific DC newsgroups I would suggest doing a search with Newsshark by typing 'Dreamcast'.
Once you have a the group your looking for you then have to download the headers. After that select your files and then download.

I know my explanation is a little vague but the most important part is setting up your news reader. Once you get to that point I can walk you through the rest in more details if you're still having problems.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:00 PM
Veteran

my isp is at&t broadband, i downloaded grabit and what do i do next? and how do i find out the newsgroup for at&t broadband?
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:03 AM

well you can go to the at&t website and see if they have the news server name. if they don't, then you should call them up and get the info. if you got a booklet when you signed up with them, look in there.

i'm on @rogers (formerly @home) and my news server was just "news" without the qoutations. you should see if "news" works.

in grabit, go to edit ---->preferences. where it says "hostname", put is your news server (news or whatever it is). you don't have to change anything else.

if news doesn't work for you, then you'll have to get in touch with at&t to find out what thier news server is.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:14 AM
Veteran

when i type in newsgroup in the website, i click on the first link and it talks about something like a message board those kind of stuff. and i am lost right now. so do i need to call them to find out?