CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:03 AM

sponsored links

oh sorry, you asked why the files wern't the same size! i thought you asked why the files wern't the same.

it doesn't really matter what the file size is. as long as the size is 28,XXX,XXX the last file in the game will usually be smaller below 28,XXX,XXX like 7,776,700 and that's normal. just like a game off an ftp or direct connect where the files are all 19MB and the last file would be like 4MB

once the file is downloaded, it will be 19MB and the last file will be smaller.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:15 AM
Veteran

i mean the size are not the same, and it's kinda confusing for me right now. i really really appreciate ur help. if i find anything i don't understand i will either post it here or i will email u. i got to sleep now, thanks for all the help. U ARE THE MAN Joe Strummer
Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:18 AM

look in my above post for the file size stuff.

glad i can help! if you get stuck, don't hestitate to ask me for help!
Old Feb 19, 2002, 01:45 PM

It is a little confusing the first time.. but once you've downloaded from newsgroups a couple of times, you'll wonder how the heck you ever got by on direct connect, ftp's, and whatever else is out there. Here are a couple of my newsgroup tips:

-Sort posts by author. This makes it easier to see a game and weather it is complete or not. Usually done by clicking the author title where it shows who posted what game.

-Know, use, and love SmartPAR. The PAR file system makes asking for fills because of corrupt or missing files a rare case (this had been the only major obsticle for newsgroups in my experience). Just download the par files (.p01, .p02, if you have a corrupt file, it doesn't even matter which ones you download, got 2 bad or missing files? Just download 2 par files and you're good to go)
Old Feb 19, 2002, 08:18 PM
Veteran

what is smartpar and par? and what is sort by author? i am using grabit 1.3.6 beta right now. i saw a lot of files with a long name, sometimes i don't even know what kind of game is that.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 09:06 PM

just look at the end of a line for the file. you'll see something like this "REQ: street fighter alpha 3. here's shenmue 2 e-shen2b.001"
the file is at the end. yellow dot messages are the ones that have a file.

i do not know if i'm allowed to post this here so if a mod feels it's wrong, then delete it.

this is a FAQ for the group. there's info on smart par and everything you need to know. it should be a big help in clarifying many things for you.

***********.abdreamcastfaq.iwarp.com/faq.html