CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 23, 2002, 08:26 AM

Default dvd2dvd-r is it worth it?????

sponsored links

Hi, I bought a computer with a dvd burner and have been trying for weeks to copy a dvd film to dvdr. I have tried all the guides, tutorials etc and I just can't get this done. Why is it so flaming complicated???? Its doin my head in. I wasted £1200 on a computer which won't do what I bought it for. A lot of dvd's are more than 4.7 gig and that's after you rip them!!! So is it really worth all the hassle. I used rempeg2 to re-encode a film which took 14 hours, then when I took it into spruceup (which is a flipping trial), there was no sound, then it would,'t write to disc. Is there such a thing as a dvd-r that holds more then 4.7 gig??(and I dont mean the double sided ones). Im sure theres ppl out there who can do this with ease so IF there is can you counsel me!!!!!!

Old Feb 23, 2002, 09:26 AM
Veteran

How slow is this brand new computer that you spent alll that money on and it took you 14 hours to enconde a movie??? It takes me 5 on my Athlon 1200, and I have had that for almost a year.

The guides that are available (not just mine) tell you about a slew of differnt ways to skin a cat. Some DVD's you have to put more work on then others. If you don't want to put the work into it then go purchase the DVD's.

If you don't want to use Spruce you can go out and BUY MYDVD or DVDit. The only way to burn more then 4.7 gigs currently is with a DVD-RAM drive without getting a device that probably costs more then most of us will make in 10 years (and I make quite a bit).

As far as your no sound problem in spruce did you look at the newbie guide faq, and the newbie guide question space? I think the answer to your question might be there.

You can complain all you want, but the fact remains that there are thousands of others out there that have done all of this successfully with no problems.

If you don't like the process that you have to do to burn a DVD you should have read what you had to do BEFORE buying the PC. All I can say is return the damn thing if u can.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 01:44 PM

I used rempeg2 and it took 14 hours. So then the question is, how are so many people doing this. I know you keep telling me to go to the newbie guide but I keep trying this and it doesnt work. First of all you have to rip the movie which is easy, the problem comes when you want to make the file smaller than 4.7 gig (actually a blank dvd-r is 4.3 gig) so heres where my problem starts. Yhen its finding a program that will author the dvd. I have dvd movie factory but is doeant recognise anything other than mpeg2 files, and after encoding using rempeg2 u get a m2v file. Could someone who has already done this PLEASE let me know step by step how this is done.
Im not saying it doesn't work but I keep getting it wrong somewhere. I can do dvd2vcd with ease so maybe its something simple.

By the way my spec is: pentium 1500 processor, 128 meg sdram and 60 gig hd.

The other problem is that the programs to do this are trials and do not function fully, oh and don't worry, I ain't gonna ask for serials.

Any help appreciated

Toxic_Sox
Old Feb 23, 2002, 02:06 PM

Don't waste your time with ReMPEG2. Read DVD-R and miniDVD guides with TMPGEnc or Cinemacraft Encoder 2.5.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:36 PM

Exactly where will I get these????
Old Feb 23, 2002, 03:54 PM
Veteran

the newbie guide has step by step instructions on REmpeg 2 if you need to use it. I haven't tried other programs though they may be faster. I can't imagine why it shoudl take THAT long on your hard drive unless there is somthing wrong with the pc.

Taxidermista, whats the speed difference on using tmpeg and using Rempeg?