CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 26, 2002, 08:28 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

RIGHT PEOPLE

I have numerous dvds from video arcade, and I CAN SAY these are spot on. I have a home cinema setup and have been a movie nut long beofre most of you fine chaps. I thought laserdiscs where good, then came dvd, I thought dvd was good, then comes video arcade with robocop 1,2,3 on 1 DVD and the QUAILTY is PERFECT, trust me on this, ok, they arn't dolby 5.1 or DTS but they are pro logic surround, and for what you pay and what you get I don't think ANYONE has the right to nit pick or go on.

mini-me with regards to him JUST outting svcd to dvd, its very clear you have no idea how this works, as svcd is a different res for one. JUST converting it DOES'NT work. I know how video arcade does his dvds, (and I aint gonna say a thing m8), what I will say is, THE way HE does them, is why he can produce TOP QUAILTY dvds, where others have 1 film per dvdr, no anamorphic etc.., video arcade produces top quailty results.

I'll happily votch for this guy, because he was one of the founders of movies (more than 1) burnt to DVDR. Quailty is perfect, anyone that says otherwise, we'll I'll happily talk to you. If you want ref on quailty, let me know. Cos you aint gonna get any better.

rishardc - Only problem with this is, YOU MAY (depending on your setup) have problems as the dvds are PAL encoded. Then again, I don't know what setup you have. As for the quailty looking 'CRAPPY' get a sample from video arcade and check it out for yourselve. They guy was sticking up for what he has done, I'm sure he did'nt mean to 'piss' you off with his comments. But look at it this way, you spend X amount of money of top of the range kit, bust you bits putting these discs togther (and trust me it TAKES alot of effort) and then, people knock you LEFT right and CENTRE, becuase they are to narrow minded to LOOK at the dvds before they post. (BY THE WAY M8, I'm not having a go at you hetre, just stating what my 'opioion' is.)

For the record as well, I've used REMPEG and I think it is a load of 'cr**' compared to other well known encoders out there. Hell, I prefer using tmpeg for my mpeg 1 and mpeg 2 encoding. Quailty is perfect, specaiy at 2 pass.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:11 AM
Banned

Crap,

I always love to piss people off as get`s my quality out there more

Wasn`t a personal dig at Richard, that method probaly works for him, and would work for a few more people as well, but guides are never 100% as I say I followed the VCD Helper guide and I ended up with worse quality than a crappy VCD.

That guide was stating that it was perfect. They have now changed their wording on it now as I emailed Baldrick a couple of times telling him it was crap.

My own personal view, is that what I do is the dogs bollocks and because I`m a collector as well as a seller, then everything is perfect on my setup. If somethings not right on mine I correct it.

I was doing the godfather tril when I first started, 60 hours I saved over that in the end to find out I had mucked it all up. I`ll end up doing it again but have so many projects and not enough time.

A lot of muppets are just taking VCDs and putting onto DVD I`m encoding especially for DVD.

I`ve just completed one project well might have to redo one film as a bit too long. And took me 15 hours for two films, admittedly I`m only using a 800 Duron with about 300+ ram but if I want something rushed, then I can just copy the files I need to do on the other computers and let them code.

You dont need top spec machines to do stuff like this, I have 1.3 Athalon and 800`s. Not sure if it was the cpu that was running too hot, but was taking me longer on the 1.3 than it was on the 800. And there was 512 meg in the 1.3.

Right I`m getting pestered to finish this reply as I`m off for a bath, trip into town, get some nicotine sticks and then head for the post office and do some posting.

1 DVD films [b]ARE NOT[/b] the way to go. If people want 1 DVD films, best to buy the originals as usually your end up taking the extra`s and stuff out of a film.

So ripping and putting 1 DVD films and taking out the extra`s is not the sign of an expert. Getting 2 - 4 very top quality movies onto 1 DVD shows more than enough especially once they have seen the quality.

For people`s reference`s

Samsung 511
Cyberholme AD-L528

Are no good at playing DVD-R

Also if you want to check a DVD player goto Argos and use there 16 day money back guareentee or sometimes stores will have 7 days etc to return if not happy.

Just because a player says it plays this that and the other, doesn`t 100% mean that it will, because you are talking [b]Pirated Media[/b] rather than offical VCDs which is what it refers to.

Logix 3000 or REC900 are the players that I have the REC900 is £99.95 or was from Britannia and plays everything including Karaoke DVDs.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:48 AM

Talk about subjetive perception of quality is useless. For me 60 or 70% of the originals DVD published today are bad quality so WHATEVER you do with them only can achieve bad quality.

And a person who can made a 1800 kbps copy of a 6000 kbps video stream without visible differences must be in the NASDAQ, not in this forum, don't you think?

Excuse my poor english.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:58 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by NOVA642 [/i]
[B]

mini-me with regards to him JUST outting svcd to dvd, its very clear you have no idea how this works, as svcd is a different res for one. JUST converting it DOES'NT work. I know how video arcade does his dvds, (and I aint gonna say a thing m8), what I will say is, THE way HE does them, is why he can produce TOP QUAILTY dvds, where others have 1 film per dvdr, no anamorphic etc.., video arcade produces top quailty results.

[/B]

I do know what is going on m8 and in actual fact with a little tinkering and no (video) re-encoding you can put a standard SVCD stream on a DVDR and as long as you have your player setup correctly it will play full screen, and on a player that will not normally play SVCD's.

I am not saying that he is using crappy SVCD translations of VCD's or anything, all I am doing is mearly suggesting what I think he is doing, ie ripping the DVD video to an SVCD stream and sound appropriatly, burning to a DVDR, hence only pro-logic etc etc.

I have not sampled them nor an interested in doing so, I have no doubt that they are of a very high quality as most SVCD's are and if done correctly then as he says you can sit a few inches away from the screen and there is very little to no blockyness.

Oh just visted the guys site:

Quote:
[B]

* Please Note These Films Only Play On Most SVCD Players It Will Not Play On Normal As Far As Tests Go

[/B]

Now it's a bit difficult to work out exactly what that means but it seems to me as if I maybe right in the fact that these are just SVCD's on DVDR's

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops another edit that above quote seems misleading the asterisk is ment for only a few of the titles that he has available not all of them, but I still think I know what he is doing

Last edited by mini-me; Feb 26, 2002 at 10:09 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:23 AM
Banned

LoL

Thank you, nice to see someone can understand the meaning of a text note. You may only be able to produce 1 DVD movies, but at least you have a basic understanding of English written language So there is some intelligent life here after all

To start with they would only work on my SVCD player hence the label of SVCD play only.

The films were taken from NTSC and was my very early work and experiments.

Personally I wouldn`t waste my processor power ripping the one movie onto DVD. I think if you like a film that much and your saying your purist`s then only an original would do the job.

This way it supports the film industry and puts something back. So it helps all the actor`s and actresses have their oscar bashes. Last year my DVD spending actually paid for the left cup of Sandra Bullocks bra hows that for dedication

If your doing these movies to sell them your not going to get many sales and you would of wasted your time, money and energy.

Thats from a business point of view, personal then I have to have the originals so I get a lovely case, a lovely printed dvd, lovely menu`s, and lovely everything else but if £8 is stretching your pockets I`m sure that £16 - £25 on originals must do as well.

I need some ciggies anyway so I`ll be back

Last edited by Video_Arcade; Feb 26, 2002 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:39 AM
Veteran

The way to fit 3 or 4 movies onto one DVDR would be to rencode the video using TMPGEnc or CCE to a 352 x 288 or 352 x 576 PAL MPEG2 stream keeping the original aspec ratio. Then do a full dolby surround downmix using Azid or Graphedit, use softencode to create a 2 channel AC3 stream.

Then create a menu and burn.

This is fine, but you are lossing res on the video and channels on the sound. But it will still be better quality than a VCD and play on any DVD player that excepts DVDr's.