CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2002, 10:40 PM

Question Which Mac???

sponsored links

Hi all,
I am going back to school for Computer Graphic Design (specifically 3d Animation). Which Mac is right for me? The Imac or Powermac? G3 or G4? We are talking home computer no ibook's or anything like that. Please let me know and why, thanks bunches in advance.
Sincerely
Buzz
Old Jan 15, 2002, 12:20 AM
Veteran

Personally I would go with the G4. iMac r too compact for my liking. Ur limited to screen size 15" monitor. G4 r more expandable w/ memory - up to 1.5 gig & iMac r to 1 gig. Not a big dif -but as programs get more involved - u may need it!
The only thing I like about the iMac's is the price & colors!

**nice screen name!
Old Jan 15, 2002, 05:38 AM

What you want ideally is a G4 powermac with the best graphic card you can afford. personally i would go for the nvidia geforce 3 which has 64 mb ddr-sdram. This is because if you are doing a lot of 3d stuff you need as much power and grunt as you can get. you also want at least 512 mb of ram cause mac os 10 needs quite a bit of ram and so will the 3d apps. i wouldn't shell out on a multiprocessor yet cause not an lot of software really supports it. however if you plan on doing a lot of work adobe photoshop then it may be worth it.
hope this is of help. post back with more questions if you have them.

yoshi
Old Jan 17, 2002, 08:57 AM

If you're on a budget then check out the new Flat panel G-4 iMacs. 700 and 800 mhz with plenty of options and a very small footprint and each package is under $2000.00 U.S. For a college student money and space is a concern so these babies are great. And if you check the configs on them you'll find they are very capable of handling graphics and design apps.