CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 08, 2002, 07:48 PM

sponsored links

Basically, someone posts to the group (alt.binaries.vcd & alt.binaries.svcd are the 2 main groups) and the files are propagated to all the news servers that carry the group. That way, you are downloading directly off your own news server (versus a p2p network where the file can be transiting from god knows where). Hence the ultra fast download speeds.
Old Apr 09, 2002, 03:58 AM
Veteran

so where is a good place to start to get into these newsgroups to get the big files ?
Old Apr 09, 2002, 04:24 AM
Veteran

OK, you did ask -

There are many ways but my advise would be to download the latest version of Forte Agent from www.forteinc.com .

From there you will need to know the following:

Your news server(nntp server) from your ISP
A username and password may also be needed - from your ISP again if different from usual.

On installing the program you will be asked for the above, the program will then connect to the server and download the groups available from that server. Many servers will have 50,000 groups + so even on broadband it may take a while. Once the groups are downloaded the left hand pain of agent will show all groups. Go through the list looking for alt.binaires.vcd or .svcd or any extensions of these and subscribe to them. On the left where it says All Groups click on the word and change to Subscribed Groups. Now the list will be only those groups you have subscribed to and not 4 miles long. Click on Online and Download headers and after a little while all the posts will appear on the right hand window pain.

Breath..............

Most movies are split using a program called winrar, www.rarsoft.com , and you will need this to join the files back again. Find a movie you want to download and highlight all files, they should be numbered from .r00 to .rar and may have a file checker .sfv to verify to crc authenticity of the files. Right click on the highlighted files and there should be an option to download, can't remember the exact wording. Now depending on your connection speed you can sit and wait. For example a 1/2 meg adsl line will take about 3 hours per cd and remember most films are either 2 or 3 cd's.

Once the files are downloaded find the file called ****.rar and double click on it. Winrar should open as you have already installed it. If there are any problem with the files you will receive an error. This is the case if a file is corrupt or missing. If all files are present and correct in a couple of minutes you will have either an mpg file to watch or a bin/cue to burn to cd with your fav burning software.

If however you have problems with files most films are posted with par files. For this part you will need smartpar from ***********.disc-chord.com/smartpar . Winrar will tell you with errors how many files are corrupt or missing. You will need to download the same amount of par files to correct this. When they are downloaded double click on a par file and open with smartpar. Smartpar will then check the files, and then recover the files so you have a working set of rar files. Then follow the part above on rar files.

Now if you do all that OK you deserve a beer or vodka etc, but seriously it may sound a lot to learn but within say, a week, you'll be happy with all this and trying out changes that can be made in Forte. If you're not come and ask and I'll try to be briefer next time but you did ask for a how-to.

Cheers, T.

Last edited by TierraDelFuego; Apr 09, 2002 at 04:27 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2002, 02:23 PM

Hi i am new to this could anyone tell me how to use newsgroups
I have a very good copy of collateral damage if anyone would like to swop for anther film
Thanks if you can help
Old Apr 09, 2002, 03:16 PM
Veteran

TierraDelFuego - thanks for taking the time to type all that out m8 , i really appreciate that , ill copy that to a word doc and try it all out once i find out what my nntp server is , thanks again m8 .
Old Apr 09, 2002, 03:21 PM
Veteran

do all isps have newsgroups then , im with omne and have an adsl line .