CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 10, 2002, 02:20 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

most but not all. In all honesty most people who ar edownloading largish amounts of data, say a couple of gig a day, will pay extra with a premium rate news server such as Giganews or Easynews. This is because the completion and retention rates are generally better than ISP's news servers but this is not always the case. You may also want to see, apart from vcd groups, if your isp have any groups for discussion - have a look in there for any whines or whinges about the servers. If you're with Omne in the UK then there site isn't that good so you may want to call them. The other option in the UK is Claranews which is 30/year I believe and is pretty good in general.

HTH, T.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 04:32 PM
Veteran

i found out my news server and installed forte agent , subscribed to ant.binaries .vcd etc but everything listed said something like 5 parts of 67 available , is this normal , how do i get all parts to a movie ?
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:15 PM
Veteran

This can be normal for a bad server. This is where paying for a premium server may be expensive but is worth it. News servers are judged on two main things, their completion rate and their retention length. On bad servers the retention will be 3 days or less before the posts disappear from the server, premium servers will be about 7 days or more. Similarly poor servers will have maybe only 10-20% completion whereas a premium server will have 99%.

It is your choice how you play this. You either go for a good premium server like giganews. This could cost you 20/month if you download say a gig a day or pay 30 a year for Claranews where you'll find about 90% completion and fairly good retention. If you ever find you're missing files you can either use the par files or ask and wait for reposts/fills. On a premium server you'll hardly ever need fills or reposts.

Any more help let us know.

Cheers, T.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:31 PM
Veteran

hmmmm 30 quid a year does not sound so bad but i have to weigh up whether its worth it or not , i suppose it depends how much i want to download , any way m8 thanks again for your help , ill have a think about whether to sign up for claranews or not .
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:46 PM
Veteran

oh guys,

dont waste time on newsgroups, get irc and get into a good chan with alot of servers and little queues. You can even serve and then you will get filled up by the main ops. The longer you stick around on irc the higher you will move up the ladder, gradually gaining axs to dump sites from anything between T1 and oc48+

in most cases if you have a fast connection (T1+) and can run an FTP server you could dump for a chan who will fill you with 0day stuff. All you have to do is allow axs for a few ppl.

honestly, if you are serious about getting new movies then why not start in the best place to start!
Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Well I certainly don't want to persuade you because it's your choice and money more importantly.

All I will do is give the pro's and con's: With newsgroups you get things at a good constant speed whereas p2p apps are dependant on the other end, newsgroups give you early releases plus most posters post a sample so you can check the quality before downloading whereas with p2p you have to hope the quality is good. Movies are a good 500meg in size with vcd's being 2 cd's x 500meg each, so the fact that on newsgroups they are split into 15meg chunks means you can do a percentage at one time and come back later whereas p2p you have to download all at once and hope the other user doesn't cut you off at 99%.

That's just a few and truely most including myself will say I'm biased towards the ng's but there are big gains. Some others will give you neg's about them.

Good luck and hopefully see you in the ng's.

T.