CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 11, 2002, 05:51 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

oh yea forgot to mention, DONT use p2p apps for movies (exeption of direct connect) they are a complete waste of time.

you will want to be reciving the movie in its orig state (ie. 15mb rar format)
Old Apr 11, 2002, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Agreed by the way, anyone who says p2p is the way forward says it because they don't understand how to use anything else. Now that is alright really it is and apologies to those who do use p2p and know how to use ng's or irc, i don't want to sound know all because I understand something else, but the whole point with p2p is that it's a lottery what you get. You may get lucky and get a good quality movie or you may download something named dvdrip when it's a cam.

but yes, I do realise irc is as good if not better in some ways than newsgroups, personally found ng's easier and stuck with it.

T.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:08 PM

I've used just about everything, but never went back from newsgroups. Although, it is true that my ISPs news server is pretty good, and thus I don't have to pay for a premium news server. (I use TWC's Roadrunner service, BTW.) My retension is 3 days (which for you newbies, means that a movie posted to the group will be available for download for 3 days only) compaired to easynews (a pay news server), which I believe is 10 days. But if you check the group daily like I do, this isn't an issue at all. And I almost never have an incomplete post.

With IRC and FTPs, you really need to get in good with the right people and know the right channels to be successful. With newsgroups, any idiot can log in and download away. And I don't care how bad *** of a channel and fserv you connect to in IRC, there is no way it can be faster than downloading from your own news server. If I was a hardcore downloader, I could go into all the vcd & movie groups and flag 15 movies to download and have them all within a day. So I would have to say, if your ISP's news server is good, than your choice for movie downloads should be a no-brainer.

Last edited by DaveMode; Apr 12, 2002 at 12:15 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 03:45 PM
Veteran

well i dont use fserves my self, but my connection is always maxed out from the dumps.

actually the only time i get max d/l speeds is from ftp's, anything from T3+ will provide me with a constant max.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 06:22 PM

I know my aDSL isp Verizon has a news server , I just dont remember it , Do any of you know what it is?
Old Apr 12, 2002, 07:37 PM

it probably depends on where you live.. just call and ask them.