CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 15, 2002, 02:18 AM

sponsored links

I hear that you can re encode them at a different bitrate to reduce the size of the file(and quality). If so what is the best software to use.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 09:42 AM

You won't have a DVD anymore. You'll have a VCD or SVCD. You'll also lose the AC3 information. SVCD tools are in OSX. Carefull, It's a lot of work so you've really got to want it and at quality below DVD...I usually pass on it. The VCD tools run in OS 9.2.2
Old Mar 15, 2002, 12:00 PM

thanks for your help sengimage

I understand that it will be of svcd or vcd quality, but can i burn them back to a dvd so i can play them on my dvd player.
Old Mar 15, 2002, 01:26 PM
Veteran

It Will not be of SVCD or VCD quality, It's generally understood that movies are encoded at a higher bitrate in order to make them dual layered thus detering the casual coppier. For instance I have re-encoded scent of a woman (dual layered)at 55% and it sill looked no different than any other. My standalone DVD player still reports an average bitrate of 4 / 4.5 mbps which is far from VCD quality. The menu's and chapter points were amended with Ifoedit (were talking PC software i'm not farmilliar with Mac s/w) and I challenge anyone to spot the difference between the remastered copy and the orig (cept for it being on a lilac bottomed DVD-R of course).

I think what macdude would like to do is re-encode the video and amend the movie files so they are like the original as I have done on the PC.

In order to illustrate my point further I think most Silver DVD's (cat A's) have been mastered using the same tequniques. The only time you generally get DVD 9's (Dual layered Silvers) is when the DTS audio is left on and that as I'm sure we are all aware is a real space gobbler. Other times if the movie is particularly long, as was the case with the Patriot (Cat A) the re-encoding was probably a bit too much and the quality of the Video suffered and the movie ended up looking like a VCD albeit conforming to propper DVD standards in format/frame rate (NTSC DVD resolution 720x480 @ 29.97 fps all sewn up inside Audio_TS and Vide_TS folders)

There are loads of tools and guides to do this on the PC but this is not a PC forum so I'm guessing Macdude would like to know if similar tool are out there for the Mac.
When it's done right and if you are careful there is no reason why a 7/8 gig DVD can't be redone to fit on a DVD-R.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 02:19 AM

Hi

I managed to re encode at a different bite rate using final cut pro. Convert it using mpegdec as u would for a vcd. Then import it into final cut pro and then export it in the quicktime menu as a mpeg2. I done this and changed the bitrate to 65%.It saved it as a .m2v file, which i then rebuilt it in dvd studio pro and it was perfect. No loss of quality(well if it has it is not noticable).

Took a long time but it can be done
Old Mar 22, 2002, 10:22 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by MacDude [/i]
[B]Hi

I managed to re encode at a different bite rate using final cut pro. Convert it using mpegdec as u would for a vcd. Then import it into final cut pro and then export it in the quicktime menu as a mpeg2. I done this and changed the bitrate to 65%.It saved it as a .m2v file, which i then rebuilt it in dvd studio pro and it was perfect. No loss of quality(well if it has it is not noticable).

Took a long time but it can be done [/B]
I've heard this on the DVD Ripdifferent forims before too. It doesn't work. Just appears to be working.