CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 22, 2002, 12:27 PM

sponsored links

What do u mean appears not to work. Works in my dvd player and my psx2 ok.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 12:51 PM
Veteran

The mage has spoken?

It does work and I should know cos I've been trying the DVD this afternoon in my standalone and PS2 etc.

"Just appears to be working" very well indeed.
Chapter points etc work a charm.
If Macdude could pull his finger out his jaxie and work out how to keep the original or make an attractive menu (like my quality efforts) he'd be well away.

for the ol boy for his persistence though.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 08:46 AM

I don't remember the exact reasons for why it doesn't work, It does apear to work because you are going through the motions of changing the final bitrate. But from the postings I've read in the Rip Different forums it's not really doing it. I believe the check is to see the final file size after you're done. It should be smaller than the original, but never is. Then again, it's just hearsay....you can visit that forum yourself and get the complete story. People there are real pros at this stuff. I however am more interested in copying PS2 games right now. And Straight DVD rips are all I need. The extra steps are just not worth it IMHO.
Old Mar 25, 2002, 03:09 PM

Trust me It does work. The original size of just the movie was 4.9 gig (no sound). After i re encoded it at 65% and added the sound it was 4.2 gig. There is no noticable difference in the quality of the DVD. And yes it is a long process, not worth the effort to some people.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:12 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by MacDude [/i]
[B]Trust me It does work. The original size of just the movie was 4.9 gig (no sound). After i re encoded it at 65% and added the sound it was 4.2 gig. There is no noticable difference in the quality of the DVD. And yes it is a long process, not worth the effort to some people. [/B]
So you dropped the AC3 encoded data? That's an explanation for a smaller size overall. But at just Dolby Pro logic encoding you've lost the purpose of a straight DVD rip. Did you compare the size of just the video data? Should be the same from what I understand off the Rip Different forums. FCP can't deal with AC3 5.1 information and dropping this info for just the stereo info saves space at the cost of losing AC3 sound quality.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 12:38 PM

No i did not touch the ac3 data.(left it as original). I converted the .m2v file(movie) into a quicktime movie as you would in making a vcd. Then i used final cut pro and exported the quicktime movie as a .m2v file. Final cut pro has a slide scale when exporting to adjust the bitrate.As i said above the original size of just the movie (.m2v file was 4.9 gig) after i re encoded it it was about 3.9 gig. I then used dvd studio pro to put them movie back together. So no i did not drop the ac3 file int final cut pro(as u said it can't deal with ac3 files).So i still have the ac3 5.1 surround sound(as original) and a re encoded .m2v file

Worked a charm