CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 03, 2002, 12:28 PM

Default external or internal

sponsored links

i have winxp pro corporate, and i have a gateway 1.2 gig athlon with 512 megs ram, i want to upgrade my cd rom, i mostly want to use the cdr for putting excessive mp3's and movie files, and some software i have downloaded off the net i have over a 160 gigs of hard drive space, and am out of space so i feel a fast writer would be aproprite, i have , year old firewire card, installed and i just installed a usb2 card i had a usb 2 yanaha external cdr i took it back, it would only write 1 cd and i would have to reboot,
so i would like to know what the fastest writer out there is, would it be a internal or external, and if it is a internal can you tell me which one it is,
also what is the best external drive, fire wire or usb 2
and which is the best usb2 drive to get,
thanks also which software should i use,
i have been having problems with the newest easy cd creator,
can i have all software installed or is it best to just have one brand on the system,
thanks
billy
any help would be apreciated,
is there any programs that i can get to index all my files that i back up on
cd
so i can just do a search and it will tell me what volume the file is on.

i also would like to know which labelling product is the best to put the name of files on the cd label not the jewel case, and make it easy to do
i have tried everything and they all seem to be way to hard to use
just want to print the file names on the cd, in the best possible manner
thanks again in advance billy
you can email me at [email]billy.cal@verizon.net[/email]
i have software i can help people with, like easy cd
and nero
latest releases
Old Mar 04, 2002, 02:26 PM

I think the fastest writer available at the moment is one of the Plextor's which writes at 40x (see www.cdrinfo.com ) for more info. Somebody is releasing a 48x one soon

In general internal drives are cheaper and faster than external ones. Unless you need the drive to be portable I'd just buy an internal IDE one.

Labelling software - try surething labeller

Having more than one CD-R mastering program can cause conflicts. I think all the info is in the FAQ.

Not sure what your problems are with EZ-CD. I know that version 5 had lots of problems with XP and win2k but I'm not sure if there was a patch that fixed them.
Old Mar 04, 2002, 11:21 PM
Veteran

The Lite-on and Plextor 40x are the fastest available. You shouldn't even consider an external drive unless you don't have room for an external or you want to share the drive with more than one PC. It only adds an extra layer of complexity. Most external drives are actually IDE drives with an additional interface for USB, Fireware, or PC cards. The extra interface means extra cost, another potential bottleneck and moe technical problems.

Many people use more than one burning software since each product has it's own strengths and weaknesses.