CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 08, 2002, 05:36 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Though Processor is the main factor for encoding speed, as well as the RAM, it is not true that harddrive doesnt help or affect encoding speed.

I have tried it numerous times because I have both 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm and certainly the 7200 performs better.

In fact, my speed using Cinemacraft Encoder was almost doubled from .7 to 1.3 when i set it up like this

5400 for all the ripped files (VOBs)
and 7200 for all of the files that will be encoded out of the 5400 drive. So technically, one drive is reading and the other is writing and not just one drive is doing the read and write.

So it does affect
Old Mar 08, 2002, 06:36 PM
Veteran

alm9,

Celeron 850 will work ok, will just take longer.

If I were you, if you are a newbie, you better off using DVD2SVCD if u want SVCD output.

Then in the Encoder tab, choose CCE and chose CBR instead of multipass VBR. That will reduce the encode time dramatically.

I would assume using that program will take you about 7-9 hours for SVCD. Take note that CCE is the fastest encoder and if you choose VBR mutipass like 4, it will take you about 24 hours or more. But CBR will be around 7-9 hours, enough for your pc to do it overnight and when you wake up the following morning, it should be done
Old Mar 08, 2002, 06:42 PM
Banned

Not sure what the 566@850 celeron is

I would say with a low spec machine you would be down to about 11 - 15 hours.

Rough Time Scale (For VCD for SVCD you can add 1 - 3 hours on top)

3 - 5 hours from a 1.2 to 2000 processor
6 - 15 hours from a p2 or p3 500 to a 1.1

Always best to just have the computer producing the movie as the more your doing in the background then the further it can push up the time it takes to code.

If you have stopped everything your doing, and just going to code a movie over night, if it says something like 21 hours to do. Shut down the computer for 30 secs to a minute. Turn back on and try again.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 07:56 PM
Banned

I would be careful on your processor then if you have it overclocked. I have never overclocked and would never, I know a lot of people do, but unless you have everything set up correctly, enough air etc then doing something as CPU intensive as DVD ripping etc may just may bring your CPU to an early end.

I wouldn`t have the guts to clock my 800 processor and the chips are only 40.

Quality is down to how much you know or dont know. I have my views on ripping and coding and hopefully have proved my stuff by putting samples onto a FTP.

All what I`ll say is that if you can`t produce high quality naturally then you need all the options e.g vbr etc on.

Your starting on a path and there is no fast way to your destination, or I dont think there is, it takes time and expirence to find out the best methods and not just taking someones words for it, because your always do something one way and it could take you longer than if you found another way of doing something.

Confusus says

A self made millionaire deserves his million more than someone that just brought a lottery ticket.
Old Mar 08, 2002, 10:41 PM
Veteran

About the quality, multipass VBR is better than CBR but the difference is very little as I have done them both.

I predicted 7-9 hours because on one of my machines P3@500, it takes 7 hours and under for a movie. In fact your Celeron 500 is slower than p3@500 but it is overclocked at 866 so that should be a little bit faster than one of my machines.

Your overclocking is fine, esp if you dont see any unstability of your machine. I have overclocked my Pentium 1.6A to 2.2 and it is running without any problems at all and it runs 24 hours doing video editing almost everyday non stop
Old Mar 08, 2002, 10:58 PM

When I have my celeron overclocked at 850 and I am using TMPG it ALWAYS crashes, but if I drop it back to 566 its fine? With this happen with DVDSVCD? Will it crash?