CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:28 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I rest my case.

As you already know - I have no merchandise to show you as I am just a buyer (or market killing muppet as I believe you call us). Though when I can help somebody here, I invariably will - I have received much useful advice from members here during my time on these forums.
I merely made the dreadful mistake of telling you that I had multi DVDs from another source that I consider to be on a par with yours for quality. This after you posted that you were the ONLY person capable.
This time, I feel your comments are better suited to another forum and I felt the need to let our American (or Australian for that matter) colleagues know that not everybody shares your view that they need to be abused for their nationality - or for that matter their point of view.

Thank you for editing the abusive post above. Believe me, the abusive e-mails you sent me were more than ample to get your point across.

Last edited by Khobar; Mar 12, 2002 at 07:01 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 06:42 PM
Banned

Swine

I know what OFF your have soon m8
Old Mar 12, 2002, 07:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Video_Arcade [/i]
[B]Swine

I know what OFF your have soon m8 [/B]
I have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Khobar; Mar 12, 2002 at 07:10 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 08:21 PM
Veteran

back to the thread.
basically, i think this is what crazyguy wanted to hear,

vcd=mpeg 1 and offers good quality if better sources are used as input,
quality can vary depending on filters used during encoding.

svcd=mpeg 2 and offers good quality if better sources are used as input, quality can vary depending on bit rate and filters used during encoding.

vcd=gives most compatability with stand alone dvd players

svcd=gives less compatability with stand alone dvd players.

ps if you use inferior input such as asf you can fit 120min on one cd as svcd
but the quality will be questionable.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 09:05 PM
Banned

Back to sensible posts nice to see, Khobar you have email anyway which I`ve saved just incase you try and say something different.

Adding my final view

VCD is crap if you dont know how to code it properly. Increasing the bit rate is not the solution because you still have to sit and play with settings.

So using the basic settings on a program such as TMPEG will give you lowish but watchable quality. It prodives as aaraonjon has said more compatibilty so if selling or trading unless people have lists of SVCDs then VCD is a more wider option. Also for DVD players as well.

SVCD has been around for years, but is a buzzword because of LOTR. It produces better quality than a bog standard VCD. So using say TMPEG again and using the bog standard setting for SVCD then it will be better than using the VCD setting.

Programs like DVD2SVCD are other people`s work and genius and they are all in one programs, that you put in a DVD click on go and the package does it all for you.

If there was an exam before you can list or sale SVCD titles then the majority of people would fail.

1) Explain to me about SVCD
Umm it`s higher bitrate, it`s more resolution

2) How did you produce these results
I used an all in one encoder

3) Show me how to produce these results
Well all what I did was click on go and that was it really

So my point is if you want something that is easier to produce, provides straight away better quality and dont mind having the computer going for 1 + hours more than a VCD. If you dont want to sit around, play with the software packages and learn the actual packages and processes or tweak this and that, experiment spend time learning rather than just doing.

Then SVCD is for you. If you dont mind having a play with VCD, trying things out, trying out different techniques, wasting time when things dont work. And when you have those settings then you can produce VCD quicker than SVCD.

The ordinary human being hasn`t got super hearing or super eye sight. So things will look just the same from 10 - 15 feet back when your sitting in your living room. MP3 encoding unless your a sound engineer or blind then most people are tone deaf so people cannot tell a difference between 128 sampling to 192 sampling.

The only way to pyshically see or hear, is to use a program that checks every pixel. or a sound package that measures every frequency.

I put a high quality VCD in the same directory structure as SVCD and sold them I probaly wouldn`t have someone say well these are not SVCD. If I fool MP3 players so rather than an MP3 that is 128 the MP3 player says oh I`m playing a MP3 thats been encoded to 192 you wouldnt come back and say it`s only 128.

If I goto the cinema then I can look at the screen and think theres fuzzyness around the edges. I can go into a music store and listen to a pop track and then listen to rave music and I know the tempo of the music has changed because it`s audably hearable.

bang.............................................. ..bang...........................................b ang

bang...bang...bang..bang...bang...bang...bang....b ang

I rest my arguement

One quickie

A bad VCD will basically be fuzzy, it will probaly show blocks even at 10 - 15 feet on car chases etc. On dark scenes then it will also show different shades of black as well rather than being one texture.

Last edited by Video_Arcade; Mar 12, 2002 at 09:13 PM.