CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 16, 2002, 04:28 AM

Default Winrar and others

sponsored links

iv'e tried all the zip compressions and cant get a big game like 700mb to be compressed to like half or around there. do i have to compress it one time then do it agian? any help...thanks
Old Jan 16, 2002, 11:12 AM
Veteran

Some things don't compress very well.. Especially things that are already compressed.. So if you compress it multiple times then the file size may even go up...

To compress a game to 50% is just unrealistic.. There is talk of a new compression technique that offers 100:1 lossless compression, but it is most likely BS as these things usually are.

Did you try :********rksoft.virtualave.net/ ??? It might do a slightly better job than winrar/winace, but still nowhere near 50%..
Old Feb 08, 2002, 02:05 AM

i dont know how it was done, but i d/l marvel vs capcom and all the 001, 002 files was about 190MB, unzipped it and I had a 700MB cdi ready to burn. And it works !!! Oh and so was Tennis 2k2 was only 200MB of d/l bur unzipped to 700
Old Feb 08, 2002, 03:01 AM
Veteran

As I said, some things just compress better than others.. PC games for example generally contain install files that are already compressed, where as consol games don't.