CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 23, 2002, 06:53 PM

sponsored links

hi blue..sorry i'm late in replying..been very busy m8...anyways, read on...

cdrecord don't work for u, eh?...are u sure?...<ding ding!...cue the chronicles of a train to nightmare city...next stop coaster central...all aboard! > ...dya mind if we _walk_ thru the echelon method using cdrecord/cdrwin to find out where it's going wrong for u? as i don't know how to use any other software for selfbooting the plain files of a dc game, so if this don't work...i can't help u any further m8...

have u got a selfboot tool kit and created a folder on ur harddrive called.. c:\selfboot ..set up sommat like this...

\data ( folder containing all segagen game files except ip.bin )
\temp (contaning bin2us.exe, grom.exe and any roms u wish to convert to usa region .bins)
\temp\bin2us.exe ( converts euro\jap roms to usa region code)
\temp\grom.exe ( converts a .smd format rom to .bin format rom)
audio.raw ( a dummy audio file.. 4 seconds of digital silence)
binhack.exe ( binary hacking tool )
cdrecord.exe ( burning software )
cygwin1.dll ( cdrecord tools .dll file )
ipins.exe ( injects an ip.bin into an .iso)
ip.bin (segagen's ip.bin should have been with the plain files u got from dcemulation)
mkisofs.exe ( compiles ur .iso )

ur selfboot\data folder should contain _all_ the following segagen files

0gdtex.pvr
1st_read.bin
Ginreset.bin
Ginsu.ini
Ginxfer.bin
Main.dat
Manifest.bin
Mde_us.bin
Title.dat
\roms1 (folder containing these files...)
Haikei.pvr
Manatee.drv
Moji01.pvr
Option.pvr
Stream.mlt

....yeah? ..ok then, let's go for it!

notes:
1- selfboot directory doesn't have to be on ur c:\ drive, it can be d:\selfboot ..or.. e:\selfboot ..blah blah...u get the picture
2- i'm fairly sure that the segagen plain files u have are pre-hacked to the 0,11700 offset, so if u can burn the first session to this offset, u will not need to do any binary hacking
3- do u have segagen with the 'OBSIDIAN' front end menu ? ..if so..that's choice m8, cos its a much easier to read the menu ( bigger fontsize) and u can add multiple roms folders with up to 50 roms in each folder!..we'll cover that later...
3- there maybe some other tools in selfboot kit u download depending on which kit u get.. but u do atleast need the tools and files listed above

-------------------------------------------------------
step-1 getting ur burner's scsi address (u'll need it for cdrecord)

--------------------------------------------------------

run a dos prompt (click.. 'start' ..then.. 'run' ..type in.. 'command.com' ..click.. 'ok' ..or hit the.. 'enter' or 'return'..key)..in the dos window that opens...click the ms-dos icon in top lefthand corner, click 'properties', change the 'Working' directory to c:\selfboot click 'apply' then type in 'exit' hit 'enter' key to shut dos window down..now do it all again..click.. 'start' ..then.. 'run' ..type in.. 'command.com' ..click.. 'ok' ..or hit the.. 'enter' or 'return' ..key and bingo!..from now on ur dos prompt will always start in ur selfboot directory!...right now type in..

cdrecord -scanbus

..hit 'enter' ..or.. 'return'

cdrecord should fire up and scan ur scsi bus for cd-rom, dvd-rom, cd-rw drives and list their adresses as....

0,0,0 ur reader\writer drive
0,1,0 ur writer\reader drive
0,2,0 ..............
0,3,0 ..............

or...

0,0,0 ur reader\writer drive
1,0,0 ur writer\reader drive
2,0,0 ..............
3,0,0 ..............

...sommat like that anyways, my (e-ide atapi) burner's number is.. 0,1,0 ..and i'll be using that number in the following tutorial purely as an example...ur's is possibly/probably different, and u must alter the commands accordingly

..is sommat screwing up here?

----------------------------------------------
step-2 -(a) burning the first session with cdrecord

-----------------------------------------------

type in this command...

cdrecord -dev=0,1,0 -multi -audio speed=4 audio.raw

cdrecord should fire up and burn the ''audio.raw' file in ur selfboot dir to ur blank cdr as a multisession audio cd

..is sommat screwing up here?

note: while this should give u an offset value of 0,11700 ..cdrecord does not like to burn to this offset (dunno why?) it'll add 2 blocks to the equation taking ur offset value to 0,11702 (the next writable address on the disc) this forces u to use a binary hacking tool (binhack) to hack ur .bins to the new offset, which is ok for most games...but not segagen! u gotta use a hex editor to do it (re: my first post in this thred)..or try burning first session with cdrwin instead, read on....

----------------------------------------------
step-2 -(b) burning the first session with cdrwin ( steps.. 'a)' ..thru to.. 'e)' ..copied straight from the echelon tutorial)

-----------------------------------------------

a) Fire up CDRWIN.
Goto the first icon on the top left: "Record Disc"
b) Click the icon in the top right corner: "Load tracks"
c) Click add, then choose the file AUDIO.RAW in your "selfboot"
dir. This file was included in the E-SELFBT.ZIP archive.
d) Click the tab "Open New Session" near the bottom.
e) Burn this CD.

cdrwin should burn audio.raw to the 0,11700 offset...job's a good'un, no need to hack binarys

...is sommat screwing up here?

---------------------------------------------
step-3 finding out multisession information of the session u just burnt (the next writable address on ur disc)

type in this command...

cdrecord -dev=0,1,0 -msinfo

cdrecord will scan ur burner drive for the lba (logical block address) of the next writable sector on ur disc and spit out either one of these numbers... 0,11700 ..or.. 0,11702 ...if it's anything else?..sommat is screwing up here! :-)

step-4 -(a) hacking 1st_read.bin (and other .bin files) to the ur offset value with binhack

it's not necessary for u to do this with segagen's .bins if u can burn to 0,11700 ..so skip this stage in the actual burn proccess itself..i only include it to show u how u would do it with other games...but if u can only get it to burn to 0,11702 u _will_ have to hack segagens .bin files so read on anyway...

go to ur c:\selfboot\data folder and cut out 1st_read.bin (and any others that need hacking) paste it into ur selfboot folder then type in this command...

binhack

it will ask u to...

enter name of binary: 1st_read.bin
enter name of bootsector: ip.bin
enter msinfo value: 11700

sorry but i must stress this...THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE!..._DON'T_ RUN SEGAGEN'S 1ST_READ.BIN THRU BINHACK COS IT WILL SCREW IT UP!..however, u can run the other bins thru binhack, enter commands like this...

enter name of binary: ginreset.bin

enter name of binary: manifest.bin

enter name of binary: mde_us.bin

..altho, as i've already said, u shouldn't need to cos i'm sure the plain files are pre-hacked to the 11700 offset

step-4 -(b) hacking segagen's 1st_read.bin (and other .bin files) to the 0,11702 offset with a hex editor

if 11702 is the only offset u can burn to, do not use binhack on segagen's 1st_read.bin, binhack will _not_ give any error msg _but_ it will screw-up when hacking the 1st_read.bin, that's what i meant in my original msg to u saying that.. binhack wont work, it'll search out and hack the 8th and 7th bytes in front of the _first_ 'cd001' text sting ..whereas, segagens 1st_read.bin has _2_ 'cd001' references and it's the 8th and 7th bytes in front of the_second_ reference that need to be hacked in order to boot the game from 0,11702 offset.. u can only hack this with a hexeditor ( i think?..there are other binary hacking tools but i never used them) also there are three other .bins that need to hacked

open 1st_read.bin in a hex editor, u'll see three columns.. line counter..(the 1st column) hexadecimal code (2nd column) ..use the hex editor's find/search tool to look for 'cd001' text string references..(in the 3rd column)..there should be two references and u don't want the first one so click 'find next' and u'll be taken to the second reference...

1st_read.bin change 8th and 7th bytes in front of 2nd 'cd001' reference from.. 5A2E ..to.. 5C2E

u can use hexeditor to change the other bins aswell, if u like...

ginreset.bin change 8th and 7th bytes in front of 1st 'cd001' reference from.. 5A2E ..to.. 5C2E
manifest.bin change 8th and 7th bytes in front of 1st 'cd001' reference from.. 5A2E ..to.. 5C2E
mde_us.bin change 8th and 7th bytes in front of 1st 'cd001' reference from.. 5A2E ..to.. 5C2E

...or use binhack as it _will_ hack the other binarys...( it only screws up segagens 1st_read.bin )

enter name of binary: ginreset.bin
enter msinfo value: 11702

enter name of binary: manifest.bin

enter name of binary: mde_us.bin

after hacking ur .bins, move them back to ur selfboot\data folder (except ip.bin ..that stays in ur \selfboot folder)

step-5 converting ur roms to .bin format, patching to usa region code

firstly do u want to add ur roms to the disc? u might aswell..first u gotta convert any of ur roms that are in .smd format to .bin format, and u need to convert any euro\jap roms to usa region code...sounds like a nightmare doesn't it?...it's not really, read on...

put up to 50 roms in ur selfboot\temp folder (.smd and .bin)

from ur dos prompt, type in this command...

temp\grom -bin -nochk *.smd

hit the 'enter' or 'return' key, this will copy and convert all .smd roms to .bin

...then type in this command..

temp\bin2us

..hit the 'enter' or 'return' key, this will batch convert all .bin roms to usa region code

..then type in this command...

move temp\*.bin data\roms1\*.bin

..hit the 'enter' or 'return' key, this will move all the region patched .bin roms to ur selfboot\data\roms1 folder..

step-6 adding multiple roms folders (optional)

to add multiple roms folders first create ur roms folders in ur selfboot\data folder, call them roms1, roms2, roms3 ...etc. etc. copy the 5 files in ur roms1 folder (Haikei.pvr, Manatee.drv, Moji01.pvr, Option.pvr, Stream.mlt ) to all other roms folders and process/move up to 50 roms at a time into each folder, so,for multiple roms folders ur selfboot\data folder u should look sommat like this...

0gdtex.pvr
1st_read.bin
Ginreset.bin
Ginsu.ini
Ginxfer.bin
Main.dat
Manifest.bin
Mde_us.bin
Title.dat

\roms1 (folder containing these files...)
Haikei.pvr
Manatee.drv
Moji01.pvr
Option.pvr
Stream.mlt
and ur first set of up to 50 roms

\roms2 (folder containing these files...)
Haikei.pvr
Manatee.drv
Moji01.pvr
Option.pvr
Stream.mlt
and ur next set of up to 50 roms

\roms3 (folder containing these files...)
Haikei.pvr
Manatee.drv
Moji01.pvr
Option.pvr
Stream.mlt
the next set of 50 roms

...etc. etc.

add as many folders as u like, but don't go above 660mb of data (for a 700mb cdr) in ur \data folder!

step-7 making an iso

type in this command...

mkisofs -C 0,11700 -V SEGAGEN -l -o data.iso data

..or..

mkisofs -C 0,11702 -V SEGAGEN -l -o data.iso data

depending on which offset ur trying to burn to..

..hit the 'enter' or 'return' key, mkisofs will fire up and compile all files in ur \data folder into an .iso file called 'data.iso' (u'll need up to 1.4gb of free hdd space and it may take a little while for this step so be patient)

step-8 inserting ur bootsector into data.iso
type in this command...

ipins

..hit the 'enter' or 'return' key..

when prompted to enter name of bootsector type in...

ip.bin

when prompted to enter name of iso type in...

data.iso

and....jobs a good'un!..ip.bin inserted into ur data.iso

step-8 (a) burning the second session (data.iso) with cdrecord

type in this command...

cdrecord -dev=0,1,0 -xa1 speed=4 data.iso

..hit the 'enter' or 'return' key..cdrecord will fire into life and burn the data.iso as second session...

step-8 (b) burning the second session (data.iso) with cdrwin ( steps.. 'a)' ..thru to.. 'f)' ..copied straight from the echelon tutorial)

a) Fire up CDRWIN.
b) Click the 2nd Icon from the Top Left: "File Backup and Tools".
c) For Backup Tool/Operation: Select "Record an ISO9660 Image File".
d) For Image Filename, Choose data.iso in your "selfboot" directory.
e) Under Recording Options, Select your CD-Recorder. Check the following options accordingly:

Disc Type: CDROM-XA
Track Mode: MODE2
SPEED: Whatever You Want
Finalize/Close Session: Yes
Write Postgap: Yes
Open New Session: No
Test Mode: No
Verify Recorded Image: No

f) Click the start button and you are burning.

step-9 go try it out in ur dc!

if u've got this far with no error msg and ur sure u done ur bit!...u should now have a selfbooting segagen emu with as many roms as u wanted on it..try it out in ur dc and let us know if it worked for u?

hope this helps u out m8
__
arthur_p_huxake

ps. in typing out this rambling post, i realised just how hellish it can be when u try to help someone!....heheh :-P

pps. to anyone else reading this..if u spot a mistake..please point it out...cheers

Last edited by arthur_p_huxake; Mar 23, 2002 at 07:00 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 01:15 AM

phuck, I knew I should have posted that a few hours ago I finally got a successful iso file & selfboot disk. Had to do alot of BS, but in the end I got a working disk. Don't even remember what exactly I did, alot of it was like pissin in the wind.

Unfortuninately it's not the OBSIDIAN release. Damn, the larger text and paging features are so useful too...

IIRC i did something like this to get the SOB working......
the scanbus tool worked fine, plus cdrwin lists device address
cdrecord hates my pc, used cdrwin for audio track
again cdrecord=POS, freezes pc while attempting -msinfo command line
solution said phuck it and tried 11700
finally got mkisofs to make iso
patched ip/iso
used cdrwin to add iso to disk

Anyway, thanks for the help bro. Sorry ou had to type all that for no reason. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone else a week or so from now.

Last edited by Shades_of_Blue; Mar 24, 2002 at 01:30 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 05:07 AM

no worries m8...glad u got it going, if u want the files for the obsidian front end, and can't find them anywhere...let me know and i'll mail them over to u

__
arthur_p_huxake