CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 21, 2002, 08:39 PM

sponsored links

You wont accomplish anything from this... The implications that have always been made when burning any type of media is that the burn speed can be completely dependent upon the media itself. Pioneer will have no problems getting around this.
Old Mar 21, 2002, 11:11 PM

Angry

QWERTY

Before you go slagging me off please at lease read my post properly and then do a bit of research and you will find that I am in fact correct. Although I'm fairly new to DVD-R burning I've have been building, using, programming and supporting PC's for 20 years, so I think I do know what I'm talking about.

The Pioneer A03 (I didn't mention Panasonic) does have the speed restrictions I mention they are built into the ROM and although the supplied software tells you its writing at 2X if you actually time it you will find that unless you are using 1 of the few blanks that Pioneer have set the drive to recognise that it will only burn at 1X. Has for would I rather burn at 1X or burn a coaster then of course Iíd rather burn a 1X, but if you read my post properly you will see that I mention the media companies should know if the media they produce can burn at 2X. I know that some media would burn at 2X but be jerky etc just like with CDR but then it would be my choice either not to use that media or to burn it a 1X. New media is being produced all the time and just like with CDR media it will get better and better. Pioneer wonít keep releasing ROM updates to include this media and even if they do, they wonít be able to keep up, they are already behind. Even if they did some how manage to catch up and keep up, this means re-flashing the Rom every time new media is produced, just how many times would you be prepared to do this? Also as I stated in my original post, it should be our choice what media we use at what speed. Pioneer should only advise us what media to use, it would be fair enough to limit the drive in this way had the issue been mentioned in advertising and on the packaging but Pioneer choose not to inform us.

Would you be happy if for example you bought a car that was advertised at a speed rating of say 100mph only to find out after your purchase that the car would only do 50mph unless you used the manufacturers petrol, yet you were never informed of this in anyway before you made your purchase and even then you were only told after complaining?

We can all reply to a post in rant mode without thinking first, I myself have been guilty of this in the past but please read future post properly and then think about your reply before posting it, it will save you from feeling stupid when has in this instance some of the A03 owners will Iím sure give you a similar response to this one.
Old Mar 21, 2002, 11:21 PM

Nefarion

I think that Pioneer will have problems getting away with this one because they have purposely locked the drive to 1X except for a few media makes that they have programmed the ROM to recognise. So in this case the burn speed is not completely dependent upon the media capabilities it is solely dependent on what Pioneer decide to allow and at the very least this is misleading advertising because they donít mention that the drive is locked this way in any advertising or on the packaging.
Old Mar 21, 2002, 11:26 PM

playdays2k

Thanks for your support and your spelling is excused.
Old Mar 21, 2002, 11:32 PM

playdays2k

Thanks for your support and your spelling is excused.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 08:19 AM

The most likely reason for them locking the drive to 1x with a lot of meida is for reliability purposes...dvd burning is in its infancy and i doubt pioneer want to be inundated with users complaints that their drives keep crapping out half way through burns, when the problem most likely lies with poorly manufactured media...by allowing the unit to burn to rated media at 2x then they will hopefully have a more relaible unit. Thats the way i see it anyway...

haZ

Last edited by hazzad66; Mar 22, 2002 at 08:21 AM.