CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 23, 2002, 08:03 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by hazzad66 [/i]
[B]The most likely reason for them locking the drive to 1x with a lot of meida is for reliability purposes...dvd burning is in its infancy and i doubt pioneer want to be inundated with users complaints that their drives keep crapping out half way through burns, when the problem most likely lies with poorly manufactured media...by allowing the unit to burn to rated media at 2x then they will hopefully have a more relaible unit. Thats the way i see it anyway...

haZ [/B]
Well I'm sorry to say mate you are totally WRONG in what you have said
Read carefully through Mandlebrot's postings and you will get along the correct track.

There should be no restriction at what speed you should be able to burn
a Dvdr...end of story....If all this had been stated to people when buying
AO3's...how many would have been sold???????
I would say a *ell of a lot less
Old Mar 23, 2002, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Here we go...a bunch of people with little technical knowledge on how thing really work starting a lawsuit based on a bunch of *speculation* and a inconceived perception on how they think things should be.

DVD writing is in it infancy. Manufacturing processes for the media and the hardware aren't even reliable. There's a 20% rejection rate for all DVD recording media coming out of the JVC media plant in Elk Grove, California. That 20%, signifies media that is no good at any speed, the rest pass simple as "usable". With the current cost per media a "usable" disc is better then none. Most media, regardless of the name on the label come out of the same facilities. JVC happens to supply other companies and there are other manufactures that do the same. Some of these companies are only putting the factories "intended" recording speed on the label, not what each particular piece of media can actually do. Some can burn as intend at 2x, some are reliable only at slower speeds. You get what you paid for. Just because Pioneers quality control for their media is a little better then Princo's, or some others does not justify sueing Pioneer.

If you actually believe a lawsuit will accelerate technological growth then go ahead and blindly jump on this pathetic Lawsuit bandwagon. Petitions are just signatures, until someone actually wants to pay the money and hire a lawyer you're wasting your time. (Even the person that started that petition hasn't actually done anything but complain) ...Of course sooner or later some ambulance chaser will see this and see an oportunity to make a few bucks at the expense of the consumer. Either way, the consumer won't win and the A03 will be an obsolete, discountinued model by the time anything is resolved, if ever.

I've said my piece, Have a nice day.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 08:48 PM

Qwerty

This is my last response to your post (I hope) because you seem to be missing the point. The issue is not about media quality (although you raised some good points about media), itís about the way Pioneer locked the drive (this is fact not speculation) in this under handed way without informing people before they purchased the drive. It does not matter that DVD-R Media is in its infancy or that most won't burn at 2X reliably, the point is freedom of choice and getting a product as advertised. If you research a little more you will find that in the UK we have a consumer protection law, called in laymenís terms "fit for the advertised purpose". This law protects the consumer from incorrect, unfair and misleading advertising, in other words the product purchased must actually work as advertised/stated. The Pioneer will indeed burn at 2X but only with the media Pioneer decides to set the Bios to recognise, if you care to look at advertising and packaging for this drive you will see no mention of these conditions, it just states 2X writing speed. This is unfair and misleading so therefore under the UK sales & goods act this product in its present state is not fit for the purpose because itís not as advertised, end of this story.

Please note I did not start the lawsuit but support it, also this is a class action lawsuit so the individual person will not incur charges, we may or may not win who knows but why let companyís get away scot free without a fight. If we continue to just lie down and take everything then we will continue to get ripped off, so the choice is for the individual to make.

On another note you shouldnít have edited mistakes out of your first post, this is unfair on the people who responded to it with the errors.
Old Mar 26, 2002, 07:52 PM

mandlebrot
wrote

"On another note you shouldnít have edited mistakes out of your first post, this is unfair on the people who responded to it with the errors."

this was in response to my post that he/she(i.e qwerty) responded to the original question with a reference to the PANASONIC. Which he/she (qwerty) then replaced with the wording PIONEER and then had the ordacity to contradict my efforts to help or even add an opinion

thanx for your support mandlerot
Old Mar 26, 2002, 09:08 PM
Veteran

Pioneer did not lock the drive unit from burning at 2x, They lock out the media companies...... The media company either pays pioneer to certify there discs or they won't burn at 2X...
Old Mar 27, 2002, 12:09 AM
Veteran

I doubt it is just a matter of paying Pioneer.. I mean if I gave them enough money do you think that they would certify that the A03 can burn a bottle of Jim Beam at 2x??

Hmmm, then again maybe that would.

Anyone know what the deal is with the A04/104 and 2x burning??